4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra breaks on a GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 PM
4.6guru
1st Gear Member

Default Cobra breaks on a GT

Will these parts fit on my stock front 17" bullit wheels? It's a 2004 GT...

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=434

AND

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=159

As you can see, i'm going with a cobra front break upgrade. I will probably add larger rear rotors as well, but retain the stock calipers. I looked at my front wheels earlier and between the caliper and the wheel i have about an inch and between the rotor and wheel i have about 2 inches. If this works this stuff will be real tight...thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra breaks on a GT

Yes but it's EXTREMELY close. If you have weights on the inside of your wheel they may smack the caliper.

By the way, that's way too much for rotors. I got a pair of slotted AND drilled rotors for $80 a piece... I forget where I got them, but they are by Raybestos.

As for the rear, you can't get a larger rotor under there without changing the caliper (or at least the mounting bracket, which requires you to pull the axles!). So, unless pulling the axles to change a stupid little bracket sounds like fun to you, don't bother with the rear. I'm changing all four for consistency... red calipers and bigger, slotted and drilled rotors.

I have the fronts on and completed (let me say, the bolts holding the caliper on there are torqued WAY down and it's very hard to get a breaker bar in there). I've been slacking off on doing the rears because I don't want to pull the axles when it's less than 30 degrees outside... but once I get around to it I am going to be doing a full writeup of the process and posting it up here somewhere.

Here's a couple pictures of the front. As you can see, there's less than 1/2 an inch between the wheel and the caliper, and less than that between the raised COBRA lettering, and the spokes of the wheel... but it all fits and I haven't had anything bump around in my normal daily driving (the road my house is on is really bumpy and generally crappy), or in my hard braking tests. I have to say overall though, I LOVE the way these look. Edit: These also are about 2x as heavy as the factory braking equipment was... so it's adding a lot of unsprung weight. To top it all off I just got some chrome Saleen wheels, 18x9 and 18x10... even more unsprung weight... I'm going the wrong way for speed and performance [:@]

Click for larger picture:

Old 02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

I have weights on the inside of my 99GT's on my 86 without any clearence issue with my PBR/Cobra calipers
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

I have weights on the inside of my 99GT's on my 86 without any clearence issue with my PBR/Cobra calipers
That's why I said may... it's awfully close, and depends on a lot of things. He shouldn't have new tires yet on an 04 unless, like the last owner of my car, he burned them bald by 7500 miles.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

Ive got 17" rims from factory and they clear fine. Cobras came factory with 17' rims, so you should be able to clear without any problems at all.

Only brakes that wont clear those Bullitts are the 2000R 4-Piston Calipers, as they have an area that sticks out to the outside of the caliper that requires a little more space than the Bullitts provide.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

wow thats super close, but it should look sweet behind those saleens