4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Safest place for jack stands/floor jack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:01 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default Safest place for jack stands/floor jack?

Okay so I'm ordering my Mac O/R H and I was wondering where the safest (both of me and my vehicle) location to put the jack stands and floor jack. I'm sure it is somewhat obvious but I have never used jack stands and dont want to screw anything up. Also, you think I will be ok clearance-wise with just 2 jack stands or should I get 2 more for the rear as well???

Any info that would help this install go smoother would be greatly appreciated. THX
Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Jstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Safest place for jack stands/floor jack?

Well when I jacked up my SN95 for the winter I made sure I didnt put the jack stands on any suspension parts. Look under the car and make sure the spot you select can handle the weight and it does not compress the suspension. If it wasn't to cold out right now and if I could find my camera I would take pics to show you.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM
04GTMustang

Make sure to put them on the frame rails and not just anywere under the body. Dont want to get crushed.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04GTMustang

Make sure to put them on the frame rails and not just anywere under the body. Dont want to get crushed.
So would it be safe to put them in the same spot you put your jack when you get a flat (not sure what its called)? I think I am just going to raise the front end since I would just be doing my midpipe. Also, where do I put the floor jack? Can I put it somewhere in the middle front of the vehicle so I only have to do it once?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

i put the jack in the middle of the cross member to jack the front of the car up, then put the jack stands somewhere securly under the a-arms. The best spot i've found is right below where the springs mount. You should be able to do the job without jacking the rear up, but it might make the access easier if you do.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

so you already have the jack stands? an easier way would be a set of ramps for like 30$ at autozone, those give you plenty of room for the h pipe swap they are also safe and take all of ten seconds to use.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

so you already have the jack stands? an easier way would be a set of ramps for like 30$ at autozone, those give you plenty of room for the h pipe swap they are also safe and take all of ten seconds to use.
Would ramps give me more clearance? If so I will just get ramps. I was under the impression that jack stands would give me more clearance. And no I dont have jack stands. I was gonna head to wal mart and get some cheap ones since I would only be using them once or twice.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:12 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

i started installing my king cobra clutch kit today and my stock sn95 will not clear my ramps. make sure when you buy them that they will clear. we have 2 sets of ramps so we jacked up each end slid the ramps under the wheels
Old 02-22-2006, 10:21 PM
mxracer1618
1st Gear Member

I doubt ramps are going to be higher then jacking your car up and puttin jack stands, and plus if you do that you will only have one end up at a time and that will be harder to get to the rear when you have the front on ramps and vise versa. Just jack up the front and back and put the jack stands on the frame where the slots are in front of the back wheels and in back of the front wheels, then rest the floor jack right on/below the transmission to be safe due to the fact the front is heavier then the back( and besides your in the front for most of the install so why not be extra safe?). Good luck with the install.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:32 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mxracer1618

I doubt ramps are going to be higher then jacking your car up and puttin jack stands, and plus if you do that you will only have one end up at a time and that will be harder to get to the rear when you have the front on ramps and vise versa. Just jack up the front and back and put the jack stands on the frame where the slots are in front of the back wheels and in back of the front wheels, then rest the floor jack right on/below the transmission to be safe due to the fact the front is heavier then the back( and besides your in the front for most of the install so why not be extra safe?). Good luck with the install.
Ok cool thanks. I think I'll do that.