4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SCT Programmers

Oops, better yet, when you buy xcal2 you get 3 tunes, so you can get a 87/93 octane tune, and if your planning for a upgrade in the near future
get a tune for that too. Hence saving money, by not having to purchace new tunes, someplaces give lifetime upgraded tunes.
I'm keeping the 87 performance tune in there in case gas prices go whacko again.
It's not wise to tune it yourself unless you really know what your doing.
Like if you make it too lean and advance the timing, not good.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

I'm going to the dyno on March 5th to get an idea of where I'm at now. Then after I get the tuner I'll go again and adjust it if need be once I get the tuner and the TB&P. I hear what you're saying with not wanting to mess up the timing.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:40 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Copr Hed

I'm expecting for the time being just to do the TB&P upgrade with the tuner. I all ready have the 3.73's so I need it recalibrated. If I decide to do cams it will be prob. a year if not more than that.
Hope your not planning on adjusting your speedometer with a tuner on your SN95. It isn't going to work. You need a speed cal or a speed sensor gear to adjust the speedometer on the pre 99's.

One of these: Speed sensor Gear (you might only need a 21 tooth for 3.73's

or

One of these: Speed Cal

I think the mod's need to make that a giant sticky on the top of the page.. "SN95 GUYS GETTING GEARS:"
Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't touch the AFR unless you actually know what you are doing. It is safe to advance the timing as far as the tuner will let you on 93 Octane I am pretty sure.

Personally, I think I am going to go the XCAL I and have them make me a 93 Octane performance tune. I will tweak myself an 87Octane tune that will be the same as stock except it will be calibrate for gears and the O2 sensors will be turned off. The third tune will be 93 Octane with slightly retarded timing for N20 when I get it.... So I will have a daily driver tune, a tune for messing around on the street/track and a tune for N20 when/if I get it.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

I'm meeting with the guy to buy mine. I'll let him make me a tune to where it has a better burn ratio with the knowing of he did it he'll cover it. If he won't do it then I won't mess with it that much.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
BlowByRacing

The Xcal 2 is awesome & very easy use - We use them everyday. We can load 3 programs and email changes as you need them. Has to be the easiest and cheapest mod you can do- & well worth every penny...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

do you know anything about messing with the ARF like MustangMafia was talking about?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:47 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlowByRacing

The Xcal 2 is awesome & very easy use - We use them everyday. We can load 3 programs and email changes as you need them. Has to be the easiest and cheapest mod you can do- & well worth every penny...
I'd get the Xcal 2 if I wasn't so cheap.... I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get the XCal I instead. They're the same thing except you can tweak the XCAL II from the screen right?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

I think I was looking at the XCal 2
Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

It is the XCal2 that I'm looking at getting. Right at 379.

Quick Reply: SCT Programmers