4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT Programmers

Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

Default SCT Programmers

I'm looking for anybody who has owned or does own an SCT programmer for their 96-04. I am looking at getting one especially since I plan on upgrading to a 75mm TB&P soon and want to be able to get more fuel into the system with the upgraded air going through the system. I'm just looking for testimonials good or bad.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:06 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SCT Programmers

ORIGINAL: Copr Hed

I'm looking for anybody who has owned or does own an SCT programmer for their 96-04. I am looking at getting one especially since I plan on upgrading to a 75mm TB&P soon and want to be able to get more fuel into the system with the upgraded air going through the system. I'm just looking for testimonials good or bad.
+1

I too was wondering how much more beneficial they are with intake mods....
Old 02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

my understanding was that if you get a chip, what you get is what you get you can't change it. The dealer was very very convincing in making me want the SCT programmer.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

my understanding was that if you get a chip, what you get is what you get you can't change it. The dealer was very very convincing in making me want the SCT programmer.
What do you mean you cant change it? If you get a handheld SCT (XCAL I or XCAL II) you can tweak everything yourself. If you get an actual chip (the XCAL 4 bank) you will get the same gains and it can do all the same things, however to get it tweaked you have to send it back to the company. But if you want another custom tune with the I or II, they can email you the tune.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

Yeah that's what I mean if I get something I want to be able to change it if I need to not depend on sending it out every time I buy something new.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Yeah that's what I mean if I get something I want to be able to change it if I need to not depend on sending it out every time I buy something new.
Well there wouldnt be much of a point sending it for a retune every time you get another mod unless it was a big mod (nitrous, cams, etc). I don't think you would get much more out of the chip if you added a simple bolt on. I thought about getting the 4 bank chip just because you get to have a little switch in the cockpit (I watch too many Bond films). However I need the tuner to calibrate for gears which I am getting in a while so I'd have to wait to get the tuner til I got gears.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

I've all ready got the gears. thus another reason why I want the tuner. The dealer also mentioned the fact that when you get the throttle body you're inducting more air so if you want a better compression ratio that you can get the tuner and bump up the fuel intake also to where it is a good compression and a better burn for the parts that are on it. It makes sense when you think about it.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:22 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

I have the xcal2, 3 tunes, to my knowledge, if you add something to the car something major like cams, intake etc.
You contact the people you originally got the tunes from, they may charge a fee, get the tune upgraded, download to the computer then to the tuner then to the car.
Or if it's a significant part change you may want to go to a shop and get it dyno tuned better than a can tune.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Copr Hed
1st Gear Member

I'm expecting for the time being just to do the TB&P upgrade with the tuner. I all ready have the 3.73's so I need it recalibrated. If I decide to do cams it will be prob. a year if not more than that.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:30 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: starcam

I have the xcal2, 3 tunes, to my knowledge, if you add something to the car something major like cams, intake etc.
You contact the people you originally got the tunes from, they may charge a fee, get the tune upgraded, download to the computer then to the tuner then to the car.
Or if it's a significant part change you may want to go to a shop and get it dyno tuned better than a can tune.
I bet the company you bought the part from would give you a free tune for that part. Or atleast cut you a discount on it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT Programmers