4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
GTuner
1st Gear Member

Default intakes

whats the best type of intake for a gt mustang? mines a 1997, i wwant to get the BBK fenderwell intake so it sucks in cold air from where the tires are, but i see alot of you have just a k and n and a cold air wall around it, what do u guys think of those? do they help? cuz i would think they just suck in a lot of engine heat with or with out the cold air wall. oppinioins pleased
Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: intakes

As far as performance goes, there are better places to spend your money than CAI.... They do spice up the look under the hood however though which might be worth the price alone. I would recommend the JLT. It is plastic, has a heat shield and can be painted to match your car. The fenderwell VS short ram style will not give you any big difference in gains.... I like the short ram style because you can see the filter and I think it looks cooler. Just my $0.02
Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

some say a engine bay filter such as the k&n do better because of the streight shot. others like the fender well because it is pulling true cold air but has the bend in it. honesly it really doesn't matter theres not enough diffence that you will ever notice.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

You have to do the whole intake "system" to realize the most gains. That means new plenum, TB and CIA all at the same time. They are meant to work together for the best output. One without the other really doesn't accomplish all that much. If you want, just spend the money on a new plenum and throttle body and take out the air silencer from you air filter box and install a K&N filter instead of having to pop for a completely new CIA. That is almost the same anyway. I suggest Accufab for the plenum/TB combo. They have quality parts and dynoed tops. Good luck with your ride!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:07 PM
GTuner
1st Gear Member

hmmmmmm ill prolly just get a filter and a cold air wall, i couldnt feel a silencer on my intake piping when i was looking for it the other day, so im assuming it already gotten tooken out. it makes a big suckin noise when i turn the car off
Old 02-23-2006, 07:17 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

i couldnt feel a silencer on my intake piping when i was looking for it the other day
Ummm

If you can see your air filter inside its housing and a hole in the fender then the silencer has been removed. Its a rubber piece that connects to where the air filter is. No feeling is involved.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:20 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

hears a write up on how to remove the intake silencer.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm
just do that and see if its there
Old 02-23-2006, 08:12 PM
GTuner
1st Gear Member

welll on my stealth it was under neath the intake piping well it was an intake resonator i figured a silencer and a resonator was the same thing lol... by taking out the silencer does that improve anything? cuz its sucking air from the fenderwell with it, with out ud tihink it would help less? its it a good deal?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I'd buy a jlt rai, I have one. Also I would get a tb/plenum along with the intake, because you have to take the intake off for the most part, you may as well just put a new one on.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:39 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I was going to get the JLT CAI and figured it doesn't seem to be worth it without doing the TB/Plenum at the same time. Since the plenum will be off, I figured I'd throw an NX plate kit in at the same time. Do you think I will notice anything with these mods? No, really, don't answer - purely rhetorical and sarcastic. How come I feel like someone will post anyway? I love this place, a nice friendly place where sarcasm gos to die...

Seriously though, with the 'whistle' I've been reading about with CAI/TB/Plenum upgrades, do the fender CAI's make less noise than the RAI style intakes? With the opening being burried in the fender well, won't some of that noise be muffled slightly or is the noise from the system itself and not out of the business end of the filter? If the fender well style isn't any quiteter, then I'm going with JLT's RAI cuz that big 4" tube looks pretty mean...

Quick Reply: intakes