4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installed new clutch setup F*CK ARP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

Default Installed new clutch setup F*CK ARP!!!!

ok well i finished up the installation of my King Cobra Clutch kit with my uncle yesterday and WOW what a difference. my old clutch had 100k miles on it.

Day 1. started at like 4 o clock. had to use floor jacks to get it on the ramps b/c the ramps are too steep. took of exhaust tips and sprayed bolts with penetrating stuff. let everything cool

Day2. started real early at 7 hoping to finish it all in one day. took shifter off, unbolted hpipe, driveshaft, starter, got tranny on the ground, took everything off the engine. bought clutch alignment tool (cause ford doesnt include one with their kit), new clutch fork,tranny fluid, flywheel resurfaced, and rented pilot bearing puller from autozone. got pilot bearing out fine. put on the flywheel fine. now cause the huge headache and why i now hate ARP. put the clutch disc and pressure plate on the flywheel with alignment tool. started handtightening brand new $32 arp PP bolts. then used a socket. when i got them as tight as i could, them fudgers had like half a cm left to tighten the PP to the flywheel. yes they are the right bolts cause it says it on their packaging and i know i bought the right ones. so we r like WTF? so i start unscrewing them, and they get TIGHTER??? WTF? so finally we got them out of there and half the threads are GONE. the ARP bolts stripped?? i always thought they were quality peices. so now we have to tap all the threads in the flywheel to get the threads from the ARP bolts out of the flywheel. barely was able to find Ford flywheel bolts and caught the parts guy walking out the door. ok we will just move on using the new bolts and everything will be hunky dory......

Yesterday Day 3. put the PP and clutch disc back on the there and put the ford bolts on and they went in fine....untill we had to torque them down to 20ft/lbs. the freakin last bolt to torque all of the sudden got extremely loose although it was flat against the PP and flywheel and im like SH*T another problem. the flywheel threads stripped this time. (my theory why is b/c we had to tap them to get the threads from the ARP bolts out). so we tap that hole to a 14mm bolt and found a strong bolt to use. go all of them torqued except one and damnit another bolt strips the flywheel threads. so now we dont want to retap that one when all of the others could do this and after taking all the metal out it would unblance the flywheel. so we get ANOTHER set of ford FW bolts and a new flywheel. and everything went back on fine.

the clutch is awesome, much better feel and the shifter is a lot smoother cause of the new fork and throwout bearing. but those ARP bolts cost me $32 to buy them. $43 dollars to resurface a flywheel that the bolts ruined. $11 for 1 set of ford FW bolts. $119 i think for the brand new flywheel and all the time we spent trying to make them work. so all in all them damn bolts cost me over $200 when all i would have needed to spend was $54 for the resurfacing and ford bolts.

boy i feel sorry for whoever picks up the phone at ARP when i call

at least everything between the tranny and engine is brand new except the clutch fork pivot ball wich was in good condition
Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installed new clutch setup F*CK ARP!!!!

sounds like what happened to my flywheel that came with the saleen motor. the dude who put it on stripped out some of the bolts, and it looked like they took a dremel or something to make the holes wider so they it would fit. i think they actualy didnt know how to put the flywheel on, and it wasnt bolt related. needless to say i used my stock flywheel versus that piece-o-crap. sucks to hear that man, but you still saved 500$ by doing the work yourself rather than having a shop doit, so i wouldnt worry about that 200$

definetly chew out them bastards at frp!