4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing 'fake' hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

Default Removing 'fake' hood scoop

is it possible to just remove the 'fake' hood scoop on the hoods of some gts without leaving a bunch of holes (a la a spoiler removal)? im not sure how it is connected...
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing fake hood intake

just cut your hood to make it work. Im jk
Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 PM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

excellent point.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

No... even the spoiler removal leaves holes.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

I know I said I was kidding but if you can do it then it wouldnt hurt it would help if anything. I havent looked under a 99+ gt so I wouldnt be able to see if its possible but I personally would actually try it.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:34 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

its connected by 6 bolts. Unbolt 6 bolts and hoodscoop comes right off. You have to take off the heatshield which is held on by like 10 lil push pin screws. I dont understand if you want to completely take it off or make it a functional hood scoop?

Write up:

after 6 small clips and a bolt holding on the ground strap, the heat shield came right off with no problems. before i took it out of the engine bay i marked where the cutout was going to be with a sharpie. next, the hood scoop itself came off with 5 small nuts. piece of cake.

after separating the ABS "grill" from the fiber glass scoop with 3 ring clips, with my handy dandy 8" drill press i drilled about 200 1/4" holes in the honey comb patern. then i finished up the not-so-whole cells with a drimmel tool.

a little scratching with my dental picks revealed that the part of the hood needing to be removed was fiber glass. this was good news to me, because it would be a lot easier to cut then steel. after placing a large sheet over the whole engine bay, and placing a piece of wood under where i was gonna be cutting, i spooled up the drimmel. using a spiral cutting bit and a little patients, the 2x8" cutout took about 15 minutes. then i finished off the edges with a brown grinding stone so that they were smooth to the touch. a little sealer here and there for good measure, and we were good to go. the sheet was thougrly covered in a fine white dust, as well as the other 3 cars in the driveway near by. so just be carful, and try not to breath the stuff in.

the heat shield was the funnest part, i cut it in 45 seconds using a drill bit in the drimmel. i must add that due to the middle contents (what looked to be asbestos.....) i would advise doing this outside. following a pencil mark and the molded indent made it foolproof. afterword, i took some metal tape and some high temp silicon adhesive and made a lip around the edge so it didn't have bits of stuff hanging out. as ghetto as that sounds, it matched the silver heat shield quite nicely.

as much work as that seems like, there weren't all that many great results. after all, the engine pulls air from inside of the fender, so it wasnt getting any cooler air. the cold air was blowing on the throttle body, so i guess that did some good. but cold air in your engine bay is never a bad thing. he took it out in the rain yesterday, and it worked fine. no problems at all. so id say the project went as planned.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I see that you have a white car like my 00, I have been looking for a hood scoop and would be willing to traid hoods here is my zip 97132
Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 PM
01saleen144

Default RE: Removing 'fake' hood scoop

You could just do like I did and let it come flying off on the highway at about 80. Yes, I was above the speed limit, but should the scoop really come flying off and smash my windshield out?? And no, I had never done any kind of mods to the hood, it was stock as the day it came from the factory. I do still have the hood without the scoop, its black
Old 02-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

01saleen144
You could just do like I did and let it come flying off on the highway at about 80. Yes, I was above the speed limit, but should the scoop really come flying off and smash my windshield out?? And no, I had never done any kind of mods to the hood, it was stock as the day it came from the factory. I do still have the hood without the scoop, its black
so the stock hood scoop came off? with no mods while you were driveing?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:08 AM
mingrey01gt
2nd Gear Member

I literally see my hood scoop moving when I'm going down the track. Hopefully it will not detach itself from the hood.

Quick Reply: Removing 'fake' hood scoop