4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how far should i lower????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

Default how far should i lower????

what are your guy's suggestions on lowering how far should i lower. I want to get nuts with my suspesion work, but heres the reason why i'm writing this. I just got a cat-back exhaust on and it is all ready like 3 inches from the ground and my car isn't lowered yet. I don't want it so low that it affects where i drive it because i know if its too low i won't be able to pull into all of places around where i live because alot of driveways and entrances are pretty slanted and my buddy has a really low eclipse and he really can't drive into places at all. What do you guys think???
Old 02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
tommy_t
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how far should i lower????

I'm happy with 1". Still get the occasional scrape, but nothing serious

Old 02-25-2006, 02:17 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

i've got 1.5" drop and i don't have any problems.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

it depends where you live. In VA where i live i had many speed bumps/ditchs and stuff so i went with the 1.5 drop. I just have to go over slow over speed bumps and im fine. Sometimes even sideways but i wouldnt want any other way. Great Stance, Great Performance and Makes car look so much better.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:46 PM
JonBeast

H&R supersports.....I don't really have too many problems....just have to pay attention to bumps.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
gtboy2k
2nd Gear Member

Not trying to thread jack, but if only lowering 1"-1.5" do you need any supporting mods for the lowering springs, Or can you just have the lowering springs without causing any damage to your car.

O and IMO, a 1.5" drop with 18" wheels gives a good stance, but at the same time you dont have to worry about scraping on everything.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:02 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

i think from what i've heard a camber kit is needed if you go lower than 1.5 inches. But, thanks for the info guys I needed that because i wasn't sure how the rest of you who had dropped you car handled the driveways and speed bumps.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:42 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gtboy2k

Not trying to thread jack, but if only lowering 1"-1.5" do you need any supporting mods for the lowering springs, Or can you just have the lowering springs without causing any damage to your car.

O and IMO, a 1.5" drop with 18" wheels gives a good stance, but at the same time you dont have to worry about scraping on everything.
Its really suggested you buy new shocks/struts but some people on here have gone with 1.5 inch drop with stock shocks/struts. If you go over 1.5 inch drop it is highly recommened that you get caster/camber plates. But again some people on here have had a 2 inch drop and no caster/camber plates. IMO they must be alignment gods.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

it depends where you live. In VA where i live i had many speed bumps/ditchs and stuff so i went with the 1.5 drop. I just have to go over slow over speed bumps and im fine. Sometimes even sideways but i wouldnt want any other way. Great Stance, Great Performance and Makes car look so much better.
Amen to that brotha! Hampton Roads (I-64) area has many road treats for those with lowered suspensions. For some reason the driveways at the 7-11s seem to love my cats.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Im in NJ, I have a 2' drop on my car. It looks amazing. I definitely would NOT go any lower than 2' because then you will really have problems. I have a 2' and I have small problems, like I have to angle the car everywhere, but its worth it, because the car looks 100 times better than if its not lowered.

Go 2' it looks tremendous.

Quick Reply: how far should i lower????