4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

~!@#$ what clutch to buy??~~~~

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
hurleymasta
2nd Gear Member

Default ~!@#$ what clutch to buy??~~~~

i was wondering what clutch brand is the best, i want good launches but something that will be a good daily drive clutch, OEM, stage 1, 2, or 3? also with a stage 2 and 3 dont i have to upgrade a flywheel? will all that extra grip hurt anything else on my drivetrain, cuz a stage 3 holds like 3,000lbs to the stock one of 1,250lbs...so thats a good hook up!! and HOLD, no slipping there...but what are the advantaged or disadvantages over going with a high stage racing clutch compared to a lower or even OEM...? also, HP rating doesnt bother me, i dont plan on getting enough to HAVE to go with a stage 3 but would that help on a more stock motor and drivetrain or is it just unnessecary? thanks alot
Ryan
Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM
blank
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ~!@#$ what clutch to buy??~~~~

i have heard a few people on here say king cobra is a good clutch
Old 02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

spec stage 1 or king cobra clutch(its really stiff/heavy for first couple hundred miles then its really nice). RAM is also a good clutch
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

dont get a stage 3 anything, especially spec. it grabs hard, real hard. i was expecting to be supercharged and all that which is why i went with the spec 3. but i sold the blower and for a daily driver, this clutch can kiss my ***. you seriously have to drive it like your racing, ALL the time. there is no such thing as easing into first with the spec 3 clutch. sure as hell never slips though.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:23 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

dont get a stage 3 anything, especially spec. it grabs hard, real hard. i was expecting to be supercharged and all that which is why i went with the spec 3. but i sold the blower and for a daily driver, this clutch can kiss my ***. you seriously have to drive it like your racing, ALL the time. there is no such thing as easing into first with the spec 3 clutch. sure as hell never slips though.
sounds like a good clutch for racing. i would hate to have a clutch that doenst slip a little. (tryin to get into my garage real slow would be a pain in the ***)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:56 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

id say go stage 2.. spec. so you can have the leverage for the hp levels..
Old 02-26-2006, 09:07 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

spec stage 1 or king cobra clutch(its really stiff/heavy for first couple hundred miles then its really nice). RAM is also a good clutch

I can attest to the king cobra... its heavy for a while but it feels like a stock clutch right now. I've seen bad things with a spec 1.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

ORIGINAL: rbstang

I can attest to the king cobra... its heavy for a while but it feels like a stock clutch right now. I've seen bad things with a spec 1.
acn you get a king cobra for the 3650?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:46 PM
hurleymasta
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys for all your advice!! but i hope i get more yet, cant ever have to much advice, so i should go with a stage 2 tops? also, do i have to get a perfromance flywheel? a spec stage 1 is bad but a 2 is good? or spec is bad all together? is changing it a decent task? or is it something where it would be a better bet to just pay someone to change it, how much roughly would it cost do you think if i HAVE the clutch for a shop to do it? thanks guys!!
Ryan
Old 02-27-2006, 11:43 AM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget to check out centerforce too. They make high quality HD clutches.

I'd probably go with the Stage 2

http://centerforce.com/clutches.tpl?...on=clutchtypes

Quick Reply: ~!@#$ what clutch to buy??~~~~