4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How do you guys know so much about cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How do you guys know so much about cars?

I was born with the knowledge and a birthmark of a mustang on my right *** cheek. That and not making much money and learning to do stuff myself.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't say I know alot, but I have basic knowledge of most parts. I learned pretty much everything from my work. I have been working there for 2 years now. I started off doing grunt work (only 16) and now I've moved on to bigger things (now 18), yesterday I installed a tranny in a Triumph TR4 and a Healey 3000. Rebuilt the front suspension on a MGB the day before. But these newer cars are friggin confusing to me.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:52 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Watched the Dukes of Hazzard since I was born, got an interest in muscle cars. At 15 me and my friend picked up some car mags, started hanging around "mentors", mainly freinds Dads who were into hot rods. Had 7 classes of auto shop in high school, but mostly layed around in the sun high doing oil changes or something. Once internet board sites took off big I started going to those places all the time to find out individual information about the specific car. Its easy to start the hobby on old muscle cars like 70 Chevelles and stuff because they are very basic. Carbs, limited electronic function, HUGE engine bays to work around in, simple drivetrains...etc... My first Ford V8 car was the Mustang I got last September. Since I found this site I have a pretty advanced knowledge of the way the 2v works and what the best quality companys are for modifications. The level of information to be found on this site from people who know what the hell they are talking about is unmatched. Since finding this site I've done a number of good things to the car all myself (with the exception of the gears). It also gives me tons of great idea for easy mods I wouldnt have thought of by myself without this site including, Headlight amber deletes, Grill deletes, shorty antennas...etc... I even ended up making my own write-up with the information learned on this site: https://mustangforums.com/m_2625353/tm.htm

www.mustangforums.com FTW!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:58 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

my dad taught me trucks and heavy equipment but i learned about mustangs through research, books, chassis fab class at school, this site, i called companies like MM and Griggs and talked to their techs, and the most important is just go work on your car
Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Well this site.... and I'm a Medic so I compare alot of human functions to the car and the similarites. What makes it work, breathe, and what messes stuff up and fixes them.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

i don't know crap.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I'm an ME (MIT '71), my father is an ME, and his father and my mother's father were both engineers--so all of thatplus 48 years of reading and turning my own wrenches...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

I'm an ME (MIT '71), my father is an ME, and his father and my mother's father were both engineers--so all of thatplus 48 years of reading and turning my own wrenches...

wow.... MIT..... The whole family MIT? or just you?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Just me... My father got his education/certification in mechanical engineeringfrom the Army during WWII, his father was a stationary steam engineer, and my mother's fatherhad a degree in Civil Engineeringfrom University of Glasgow, Scotland.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

AMERICAN CARS ARE MY LIFE...

Just do it and you get the knowledge.... read.... and wrench.... and get a few ford shop manuals if you need to not that haynes
and chiltons junk... lol j/k

Quick Reply: How do you guys know so much about cars?