4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

no, I def would not try it on a drag suspension...That could possibly end up in a disaster, the whole point is to not have traction but to maintain the car at a stable rate..

Here is everything you need to know to get started..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

**** i dont use an e brake, i justdont have my traction control on and whip it aruond a curb or i did try to drift this long *** bend at my school parkin lot, lol i got half way n got almost completely sideways tehn pulled it back in, i got scared haha
Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StealthGT2V

no, I def would not try it on a drag suspension...That could possibly end up in a disaster, the whole point is to not have traction but to maintain the car at a stable rate..

Here is everything you need to know to get started..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)
Thank you very much kind sir!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

There are many different ways to drift, the way that is usually the hardest but the fastest is to shift the weight of the vehicle. If you have ever heard the term "heel and toe" this is it. Entering a corner the brake should be applied to take weight of the front tires and help with the weight shift, at the same time the clutch should be pressed and the car downshifted. Your heel moves over and you brake with your toe and push thethrottle with your heel.At this point the weight of the car needs to be shifted from the one side of the car to the other while the clutch is released, the car will then move into a drift which can be controlled (increasing or drecreasing the drift angle)by the brakes, clutch (disengaging the engine) and the throttle. To exit the corner just adjust the angle back towards the car being straight and shift the car up again to stop the tires spinning. This allows cars to go around corners that they would normally understeer on. It needs to be a rear wheel orall wheeldrive car though and doing it in a mustang is hard because of how heavy it is. Learning to drift in a smaller rear wheel drive car is the easiest, in my opinion, I have a 93' 240sx and the damn thing practically drifts itself.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

mustangs don't drift very well, more of a power slide.... but fun either way.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sunguf

mustangs don't drift very well, more of a power slide.... but fun either way.
It seems so easy in Project Gotham to drift a stang...... Its like I know what makes it do it in the game....... but applying it to real life..... Its a challenge.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

ohh ya, but like stated before in the little jap cars "240's" being one of the easiest. it's loads of fun without the headache of trying to get it right in a stang. Just power slide around a few corners and be happy
Old 07-10-2007, 03:09 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Can you do it in a front wheel drive car? My current beater car is a 1998 Dodge Avenger 4cyl, Its got a Japanese Engine in it..... But if weight is a BIG factor then I think I'm screwed....... The damn thing weighs over 4000lbs! Friggin over 500 lbs heavier then my Stang! lol
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

No it is impossible to drift in a FF (front engine front wheel drive). You can pull the e-brake and slide but you can't adjust the drift angle with the rear tires, which makes it impossible.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

http://www.streetracing.org/japan/drift/drift1.htm

Quick Reply: Anyone here know how to properly Drift?