4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What to do first?

ORIGINAL: mustangchris09

Since you have a 99 cobra i would make sure you have what you paid for, because they had a big recall on those engines because they were not even making what the gt's were makin that year. You will find this out though when you go to the dyno, but go with the novi 2000, from what ive read those can put down some serious numbers when done right.
Yep problem was fixed quite some time before I ever bought the car, but thanks for the heads up. Yes they can put down good numbers. I saw a 99 in a magazine with P&P intake and heads, custom cams, forged block, and 18 psi putting down 675rwhp on 93 octane and over 700 with race fuel and upped boost.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 PM
mustangchris09
2nd Gear Member

well thats good, good luck to you and your snake.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

Since you have a 99 cobra i would make sure you have what you paid for, because they had a big recall on those engines because they were not even making what the gt's were makin that year. You will find this out though when you go to the dyno, but go with the novi 2000, from what ive read those can put down some serious numbers when done right.
There was a recall, but it wasn't that serious. The 99 Cobras were not making the numbers that the factory specified due to some defects in the intake manifold, exhaust, and computer... engine wasn't recalled, just some parts replaced.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996

actually you should go with the 03 cobra heads, they are the best flowing 4.6 DOHC heads, better than the FR500. If you're putting in everything you say you are, why not just go all out with the TT? You're changing out a lot of other things anyways, if you keep your regular heads, and cams, you would save alot of money and be able to switch everything out and get the TT setup and put alot more power down, cause P&Ped 03 cobra heads don't come cheap, and aftermarket cams for the 4v especially don't come cheap.
Are you sure? according to modular mustang racing :

FR500 DOHC cylinder heads (pair)
This is the Bad boy DOHC head from Ford Racing, these heads will bolt onto all 2V and 4v Blocks and come un-assembled but fully machined ready for assembly. 20% Intake Air Flow Increase over all other production DOHC heads and 15% on exhaust. Will not work with 96-98 DOHC B Intake manifold, all currently available DOHC headers bolt up.

They did say that the Ford GT heads outflowed the fr500s when I called and they sell a kit so they can be run on the 4.6 with the 99/01 intake, but at 2600.00 thats just a tad too much. However I will have to check into the 03 heads. The TT is going to run over 7k just for the kit and if I install it myself, I'm still going to fork out alot more to have it tuned than a SC. If I install the SC and meth with tune I'm looking at a hair over 4k and the 3k difference will buy a tranny and pay for install, so I'm going to have to live with a SC and do it quick, especially since my wife is talking babies.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: II 98 GT II

There was a recall, but it wasn't that serious. The 99 Cobras were not making the numbers that the factory specified due to some defects in the intake manifold, exhaust, and computer, all of which were fixed via a factory recall.

To the OP, you can find out whether your car has been fixed by calling SVT or looking for a dot around your intake manifold/alternator
Yep did both thanks to some other helpful members here and everythinghad beencorrected.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna cast my vote for the built shortblock to start out with.

Although... has anyone read the latest 5.0 magazine? There's this article about a guy w/ a 01 cobra running 500+ rwhp on the stock bottom end. The guy says: "The key to this whole deal is to convert the fuel system to a return-style system, as opposed to the stock Ford returnless style. This allows for a flat fuel pressure to the injectors--no spikes, no surprises. A constant, flat fuel pressure is what it takes for this car to live." He's running nitrous and a T-trim at 12.5... on a stock bottom end. Rediculous.