4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Need help ABS light came on

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help ABS light came on

thanks for the help everybody. well imma check my altenator early this week and see if its that. hopefully it is. 700 $ for abs module [X(]
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
gallop97

Listen, I work at Murrays Auto Parts, a division of CSK (Checkers, Schucks, Kragen) Auto. You cannot go to your local auto parts store and have them check the code for an abs light. Here are some possible solutions.

1. Take your key and move it forward until youhear the engine compartment"click". Thisjust meansyour car isturning its fuel system and other components on. After the"click," repeat this step about two or three times. Just forward and back.After you do thisdisconnect the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes.

2. If this doesnt work, or if it does workbut the light comes back on it could be an abs sensor on your wheel. Anything can damage the abs sensor. Driving through a puddle can damage them. Take the sensor off each of the front wheels and clean the metal contact points. In addition, clean the area around the sensor and check the wiresfor wear. After cleaning,put dielectric grease on those points before putting the sensor back on.

3. If this doesnt work, you could have faulty brakes. You can take the car to a Midas and have the change the brake pads and they will get it off with their computer systems. These systems cost shops over $15000 minimum and they will generally charge $75.00 to read the cose. If you have them change the brake pads they will take it off for free. Don't mention to them anything about the problem, just say it hasnt had new pads in a while and you want them changed. This will definetley solve your problem. This is just the last thingI would do if step one and two do not work.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gallop97

Listen, I work at Murrays Auto Parts, a division of CSK (Checkers, Schucks, Kragen) Auto. You cannot go to your local auto parts store and have them check the code for an abs light. Here are some possible solutions.

1. Take your key and move it forward until youhear the engine compartment"click". Thisjust meansyour car isturning its fuel system and other components on. After the"click," repeat this step about two or three times. Just forward and back.After you do thisdisconnect the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes.

2. If this doesnt work, or if it does workbut the light comes back on it could be an abs sensor on your wheel. Anything can damage the abs sensor. Driving through a puddle can damage them. Take the sensor off each of the front wheels and clean the metal contact points. In addition, clean the area around the sensor and check the wiresfor wear. After cleaning,put dielectric grease on those points before putting the sensor back on.

3. If this doesnt work, you could have faulty brakes. You can take the car to a Midas and have the change the brake pads and they will get it off with their computer systems. These systems cost shops over $15000 minimum and they will generally charge $75.00 to read the cose. If you have them change the brake pads they will take it off for free. Don't mention to them anything about the problem, just say it hasnt had new pads in a while and you want them changed. This will definetley solve your problem. This is just the last thingI would do if step one and two do not work.
You need to have the codes read...plan andsimple...If the local auto parts stores dont know or can't find a shop that can...There are ABS codes stored...Period...Find out what the code or codes are and let me know..I happen to work on carsfor a livin...ASE master certified. If you want it fixed...instead of just guessing..and wasting time...
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
yelw02GT
3rd Gear Member

mine comes and goes, ****it let it rock ha
Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yelw02GT

mine comes and goes, ****it let it rock ha
Yeah..you'll aways have standard brakes...just not ABS..Trust me they aint worth a ****z anyways..pull the bulb in the cluster...problem solved.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
yelw02GT
3rd Gear Member

+1
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

the OBDII sensor doesn't show ABS lights, it doesn't throw the trouble code... when you have them scanned, they are scanning the OBDII sensor...

It's probably one of the things stated: Alternator, ABS sensor, or the brakes themselves...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

the OBDII sensor doesn't show ABS lights, it doesn't throw the trouble code... when you have them scanned, they are scanning the OBDII sensor...

It's probably one of the things stated: Alternator, ABS sensor, or the brakes themselves...
yes it does, depending on the scan tool you use, i use a snap on scan tool every day and the abs codes are read through the obdII port. if you wanna get rite to the problem go somewhere and get the code pulled. y waste time trying a thousand different things when the computer stores codes to point you most of the time in the exact direction of the problem. and by the way its most likely a wheels speed sensor, they go bad all the time.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Well if that's true, I can gaurentee you, your local autozone doesn't use it...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

you may have to go to a privatley owned shop or a dealership. my shop charges i think around 50 to 60 to use our scantool to diagnose problems. and before everybody says holy **** thts alot of money, diagnostic equipment usually costs thousands of dollars.

Quick Reply: Need help ABS light came on