4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

A little worried...Need some info

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

Default A little worried...Need some info

Hey guys, I need some info.

I just started to realize that when i shift from 1st to 2nd, it is kind of hard. Not hard where i really have to pull down, but hard enough.

Then just tonight i was screwing around and when i hitand shifted from 1st to 2nd, I heard a winding/grinding noise and i felt it shaking in my shifter. 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 did not have any problem, it is only when shifting from 1 to 2. I drove around a little more becuase now i was concerned. Everytime i hit it hard the same thing happened.I even made sure that i put my clutch to the floor.
When i would just casually shift like daytime driving, it was normal and that did not happen.

Can anyone tell me what this is and why it is doing that? I am a little worried. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A little worried...Need some info

your syncros are most likely goin

i had the same problem but from 2nd-3rd i ended up blowing up my clutch. still have the problem so i am gonna get my syncros replaced and if still the problem i will be doin a t-56 swap
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for the dumb questions, but can you give me a little more information about the syncros. Can i replace them, how hard, how much $?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

Bump!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

If you're not sure how to service a tranny, you shouldn't. Not unless you have an experieced person watching and guiding you. The internals of a tranny aren't something for an amatuer to mess with.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dans88stang

Hey guys, I need some info.

I just started to realize that when i shift from 1st to 2nd, it is kind of hard. Not hard where i really have to pull down, but hard enough.

Then just tonight i was screwing around and when i hitand shifted from 1st to 2nd, I heard a winding/grinding noise and i felt it shaking in my shifter. 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 did not have any problem, it is only when shifting from 1 to 2. I drove around a little more becuase now i was concerned. Everytime i hit it hard the same thing happened.I even made sure that i put my clutch to the floor.
When i would just casually shift like daytime driving, it was normal and that did not happen.

Can anyone tell me what this is and why it is doing that? I am a little worried. Thanks for all the help.

It's a common problem with 3650s to grind on the 1 - 2 while cold and it gets worse commensurate with hard use. I had the same prob with my 02 GT. It reqired a bit of effort to shfit and everytime I did I felt the grind. I changed the fluid to Royal Purple and it got much better, but didn't eliminate it. 3,000 miles later I wrecked the car so I dunno howit holds up in the long run. Start there before jumping to conclusions.....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

I thought maybe it was just me, but the same damn thing again today. When driving normal not a problem what so ever, but then when i lay into it and slam it from 1st to 2nd the grinding and vibrating were still there.

Poisnd-You mentioned that the same exact thing happened to you. Did you buy the new trans fluid and take it somewher to be changed or do people carry that and you just took it there. Do you know where to buy it? And how much I am looking at to do this?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone please explain this a little more to me. It is still doing it, only when slamming gears. I want to get this taken care of ASAP before anythng else goes wrong. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

Bump!

Please help out. Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
mazdaspdracer

First of all... QUIT SLAMMING THE GEARS! If your syncrhos are going out then slamming the gears will just wear it out quicker.
Second, take the car to the shop and let them check it out, if they are good tranny mechanics they can probably tell you what the problem is by driving it.

Quick Reply: A little worried...Need some info