4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Gonna try something kinda dangerous tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default Gonna try something kinda dangerous tomorrow.

A buddy of mine is going to the dyno and trying out 19 lbs of boost and a 100 shot on pump gas! I sure hope it don't blow! Anyone ever seen this done on pump gas?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Gonna try something kinda dangerous tomorrow.

lol civics and imports do it all the time, as long as he has his bottom end BUILT VERY STRONG he should be fine lol
Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

What kinda car are we talking about?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

It's a 97 cobra with a built motor but dam!, 19 lbs and nitrous! I hope everything goes right for him. He's had a lot of problems with it and is finally getting everything straightend out after a two year battle with it. He is running a separate fuel cell with race gas in it for the nitrous so maybe that'll jump his octane up enough while on the nitrous to keep it safe. I'm running blower and nitrous to but only 11 lbs of boost and a 75 shot. He saw what a big difference the nitrous made on mine and had to have it.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

It's a 97 cobra with a built motor but dam!, 19 lbs and nitrous! I hope everything goes right for him. He's had a lot of problems with it and is finally getting everything straightend out after a two year battle with it. He is running a separate fuel cell with race gas in it for the nitrous so maybe that'll jump his octane up enough while on the nitrous to keep it safe. I'm running blower and nitrous to but only 11 lbs of boost and a 75 shot. He saw what a big difference the nitrous made on mine and had to have it.
if he is running the twin cell setup its not really going to be 93 octane... its 93 + the race gas. saw this in Hot Rod mag, they run a seperate tank so you can run 93 octane on regular driving and race gas when you go WOT.

very trick, very cool, and expensive setup.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

haha good luck to your friend. Post back with some numbers after he goes!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
nathansee3
3rd Gear Member

Watch out for a little nitrous back fore . DAMN thats pretty hard core. Good luck to your friend.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

if he is running the twin cell setup its not really going to be 93 octane... its 93 + the race gas. saw this in Hot Rod mag, they run a seperate tank so you can run 93 octane on regular driving and race gas when you go WOT.

very trick, very cool, and expensive setup.
Yea, his isalmost just like mine. The only difference is he went with a high pressure system instead of low pressure. He saw how well mine worked and added one for himself. A low pressure stand alone fuel sysem for your nitrous is very easy to install and is inexpensive. Low pressure is the way to go if you do stand alone IMO. It costs less than 300 dollars and was a lot eaiser to tune.

He had a few problems with it running very very rich on the gas. By the time the a/f got normal the damage had been done to the plugs and it was busting up at 3500 rpms. On a 90 shot it made 525 rwhp at 3500 so he knew it was going to fly when the plugs were changed. Well, he changed the plugs this morning and went out for a test run. He was gonna run it on motor for a pass and if all was well hit it with the nitrous. He said when he hit it it started pulling harder than ever when he heard a loud pop and felt his car run over something!! The car lost all power and he was over 6000 rpms when it happened. He got out and found that the pipe that goes from the intercooler, through the fender well on the passenger side and to the intake had blown loose. A piece of the piping blew off and he ran over it! He was just talking last night about how the car was going up for sale, saying he was tired of messing with it and dissapointed. After that ride though, he's changed his mind. He'll be replacing the smashed pipe and getting some of those clamps people use on turbos that you tighten with a wrench and going at it again.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I didn't read everything, but I'd either put in race gas or TORCO, and pray he has the other supporing mods!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Get those new plugs in and give us some numbers mayyyne!

If it makes 525rwhp @3500....imagine what 6000rpm will be like...700+hp?

Quick Reply: Gonna try something kinda dangerous tomorrow.