4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Extremely retarded question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default Extremely retarded question?

Okay I'm embarassed asking such a dumb question, so here it goes.

Where do you lift the car up in the front? The book says to lift it at the front rocker panel. Last time I tried this with my wifes BMW the whole rocker panel caved in and it looked bad. I'm afraid to try again without lifting in the right place.

I know a prettty good amount about cars and have done alot of work on my cars. However I've never had a lowered car so usually I got away with lifting the car just a tad bit at the back of the control arm.

This car needs to be lifted high because it sits pretty low!

Pics would be really really appreciated of the exact point to lift the car.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
yelw02GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Extremely retarded question?

right on the front frame rail, just look under the car behind the front tire on either side, or the pinch rail if you really have to, but you should have no problem ont he frame rail, use a little 2x4 on top of the jack if you makes you feel any safer
Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Lookee here...
Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

That's perfect thanks guys!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

what could happen if you jack the vehicle up by the rear diff housing?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:08 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Okay so I can't get under the frame with the jack because the car is too low, also I bought Rhino ramps and all my car does is push them No matter what I tried, even though their site claims their skid proof and won't move!

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djb1187

what could happen if you jack the vehicle up by the rear diff housing?
Nothing, this is where I lift the car up when I want to put jack stands on both sides.

Also, the ramps will only work on wheels that turn (i.e. front wheel drive or in the back of the car on a rear wheel drive) You can put them up against like a lip like a sidewalk or if your driveway is like mine, the garage is 1" higher than my driveway and that's enough to hold them in place. My car is too low for ramps, but when I jack my car up, I jack it up high enough to put the ramps under the tires and let the pressure off the jack. I hate getting under a car that has no security from falling on my. I built wooden ramps because I don't trust metal or plastic ones!!! I jack my car up on the pinch weld for the front. I put the jack under the plastic part that covers the pinch welds. It's part of the inside fender protector. I jack up just high enough with my cheapo jack to get my good one in the middle of the K-member just under the oil pan to get it up onto those ramps. Lift too high on one side and your pinch weld will fold up on you.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

Okay so I can't get under the frame with the jack because the car is too low, also I bought Rhino ramps and all my car does is push them No matter what I tried, even though their site claims their skid proof and won't move!

Any other suggestions?
this might sound sketchy, but try to have a buddie plant his feet behind the ramps so the can can start going up on the ramps. he doesnt need to stay there the hole time, just need to stay untill the weight of the front end of the car gets up on the stands.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Sad to say I don't know anyone around here, and with the momentum that thing pushed the ramps it literally left skid marks across my garage (not from my tires, but from the rubber stop underneath the ramp). I don't think that would be safe to have someone support it with their feet.

Where the hell is Andre the giant when you need him? If he was here I'd just have him lift the car so I can get the damn oil catch under the car. This is ridiculous! I swear this car becomes more and more of a headache everyday!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Pest007
2nd Gear Member

you can spend the money and actually buy a floor jack that will fit under the car, they are not that expensive and it works to get it in the air enough to put your jack stands to support the car.

Quick Reply: Extremely retarded question?