4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Doing Some Modding, Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM
GTnateGT
1st Gear Member

Default Doing Some Modding, Need Some Help

Ok, I got my 03 GT about 3 months ago. Only 32,000 miles on it so still alot of life. So far i've put a 70mm T/B, Steeda CAI, Pulleys, O/R Xpipe, Flows, And A Super Chip. I Already know what im doing next... Just some simple upgrades. I dont really like the flows with the Xpipe so im going with a straight through resignator. The SLP Shotgun or Bullet Style. So that should be great... So i hear from the forums. Also im changing my gears... 3.73's I Hear are best for my 5 speed. 4.10's Are for automatic... Again so i hear from the forums. Also i/ve been looking for some lowering kits... I want to lower it maybe 1 1/2 in the front and 1 in the back, or something along those lines. Where could i find some like that.. Whats a good brand? Now if that all seems to be fairly accurate, if not please elaberate, Then what else would be good to boost the power some more. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Doing Some Modding, Need Some Help

i got a 5 speed with f/i and 4.10's i would never go anything less than 4.10's they are the best.... if your gonna do it do it big
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

the 410 for auto 373 for manula is a bunch of bull****. one person says something n like cows everybody else just follow. 410s are PERFECT for manuals. ford c springs will give you about 1.25 drop for around 100 bucks. i would get the gears before anything else tho.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Black on blacK
2nd Gear Member

4.10's are the best basic mod for you money IMO
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I've got 3:73's w/5spd. Love them especially when cruising! I have Magnapcks, they are stright through bullet style...Loud and deep, much cleaner than SLP (SLP sounds meaner at idle though, then gets sloppy revving) I would say go with Ford springs. I have 1.5" up front and .75" out back and it sits pretty (very even..I have a 97gt) Also get rid of that Superchips. They suck....I say this because with all the mods you have to your car, you are only hurting it. The Superchips is only meant to be on mostly stock cars as it will advance timing and run it lean. Your prob. wayyyyyy too lean! Diablo and SCT are the only ones who customize for your vehicle. Superchips blue plug-in units (old school) were custom tuned, but they have since stopped. Same with Hypertech and JET performance. All for stock cars! Flash it back to stock and buy an SCT prgrammer!!! I just did some live datalogging w/ my laptop while driving. It's very easy and my tuner works with me. I email him my datalogs and he adjusts my tunes accordingly. Where else you gonna get that?????!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 AM
majinprodigy
3rd Gear Member

I think i actually have exact set up your trying to make...
I've got the gears (awesome pickup and didnt lose any gas mileage)
exhaust (sounds badass at high rpm but a low rumble down low and little to no drone)
springs (good stance but wouldnt mind lowering each side by another 1/2")
over all id say you got the right idea, but dont just go off forum postings... try out a car with 3.73 and 4.10s to make up your mind, i did and made my pick.. some daysim annoyed that im in 5th crusing around the city but its nice to have acceleration whenever i want.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 AM
antwaan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: majinprodigy

I've got the gears (awesome pickup and didnt lose any gas mileage)
really? i thought gears would lower gas milage. also, if i got 3.73s, would i lose traction on slippery roads compared to 3.27s? its my daily driver.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
GTnateGT
1st Gear Member

Awesome! Thanks For All The Imput. Now just to be sure.... Which will go through the gears faster.... 4.10's or 3.73's? I mean will i be cruisin around in like 5th gear at 50mph? What Gear to speed ratio am i looking at here? I mean either way, the faster the better so it doesnt matter to me.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
GTnateGT
1st Gear Member

Adding to above, Also where could i get the ford springs, C springs or others? Like a dealership or is there someplace online?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTnateGT

Awesome! Thanks For All The Imput. Now just to be sure.... Which will go through the gears faster.... 4.10's or 3.73's? I mean will i be cruisin around in like 5th gear at 50mph? What Gear to speed ratio am i looking at here? I mean either way, the faster the better so it doesnt matter to me.
You'll go through the gears faster with 4.10's. My car is an auto, so I'm not sure what gear would be comfortable at what speed with your tranny, but I'm sure its not such a big difference that you'd have to be in 5th gear at 50.

ORIGINAL: GTnateGT

Adding to above, Also where could i get the ford springs, C springs or others? Like a dealership or is there someplace online?
stangsuspension.com.

They are a sponsor of this site and have pretty good prices. Along with C springs, B springs, Eibach Pro Kit and Steeda Sport Springs would also fit your bill. Of the choices, I believe I'd go with B springs. They are about $10 more than C springs, give the same drop, but are progressive rate.

really? i thought gears would lower gas milage. also, if i got 3.73s, would i lose traction on slippery roads compared to 3.27s? its my daily driver
When getting gears the most damaging thing to the gas mileage is the driver. You'll love the bottom end acceleration so much you'll have your foot in it all the time. If you do lose any highway mileage, it won't be much anyway. Some report no change.

Traction may be a little bit of an issue from a dig, but Mustangs weren't meant for "slippery" roads anyway. They suck when it is slick even with stock gears. If it becomes an issue, better tires are in order, not less gear.

Quick Reply: Doing Some Modding, Need Some Help