4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

exhaust cutouts!@?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust cutouts!@?

ORIGINAL: tmas99

believe it or not air at high rpm's with open headers can get sucked back in and warp the valve... but like i said earlyer and ghostrider said it i believe one thing and you believe another and only time will tell who is really right... so if you think that it's ok to run open headers by all mean do it.... but for some odd reason when you get a warped valve you know why!
Thats the problem, you believe but don't know. I do know for a fact and have the proper training to back it up. Stop relying on internet myths for the advise you give out and learn about what your talking about.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 AM
tmas99
3rd Gear Member

well then do you know by only expierence that running open headers all day every day wont **** anything up... prob. not so how do you know for sure that im wrong and your right? ghostrider how long have you been running open headers?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

well then do you know by only expierence that running open headers all day every day wont **** anything up... prob. not so how do you know for sure that im wrong and your right? ghostrider how long have you been running open headers?
I've ran with my cut-outs open for many days at a time. They are positioned about the same as a open LT would be. I've raced with them, shifting at 7000rpm. No problems here.

How many vavles have you F'ed up running open headers?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

since last year
Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

the only thing that seems remotely possible i dunno if its true is that you burn an O2 sensor because they sit on the midpipes. but that won't even damage that car. it will just give you bad gas milage... and i dunno know if that is even true... just what i heard
Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

running open headers may run into warping your exhaust valve. Letting off the throttle from high RPMs will allow air to suck back through the header... and that's why it is bad to run open headers/manifold ALL DAY!!! at the track is fine and maybe a couple of cruises but i wouldnt do it all the time... but hey it's not my car, it's yours im just giving you my opinion.... and ghostrider02gt ask your shop if it's ok to run your car open headers all the time if they know anything (which i hope they do) they will say no just to race...
+1000000000000000

You DO NOT need to run around ALL DAY with open headers. Will burn up your valves. Couple of track runs wont hurt though.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Dude read the posts before you start typing. I said above that I dropped a 351W in my buddys 91 and he ran open short tubes for 4 months with no problems.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bjh061487

the only thing that seems remotely possible i dunno if its true is that you burn an O2 sensor because they sit on the midpipes. but that won't even damage that car. it will just give you bad gas milage... and i dunno know if that is even true... just what i heard
Cut outs go in after the 02s. With longtubes the o2s are in the collector and on stock style midpipe they are higher then where you can put cutouts.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM
tmas99
3rd Gear Member

for the people that say they have ran it many days at a time... thats not what i mean i mean like everyday all day... not one day on next day off... y'all can do w/e y'all want im just forewarning you that you might burn up a valve (ghostrider)...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Quick Reply: exhaust cutouts!@?