4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just bought Stang...Lookin to hook it up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM
sweetcoupe

Default Just bought Stang...Lookin to hook it up

Just bought an 03 GT convertible 100 anny edition and love it!

I have been checking out ebay but im a little hesitant on buying cheap crappy stuff from there. Im staying away from those projector headlights but looking at the smoked stock looking ones. One question I had was with the short shifters. This is the first high performance manual I have and my buddy told me that a short shifter is a must. I dont see how one from ebay could be good or bad since there isnt too much to them unless im missing something?

I also am looking at the blue xenon headlights but i heard they can burn up your wiring. Is that a common prob with the stangs?

Also again, I got a quote to weld in some flowmaster 40s and chrome tips on the ends for $300. Does that sound reasonable? or should i go with the full cat back.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Silver98GT

Default RE: Just bought Stang...Lookin to hook it up

As far as sound goes, you would probably be more happy with a complete exhaust setup instead of having the flowmasters welded in. Short shifters are really nice, I just got done installing mine on firday and I love it. You need to be cautious when using ebay and only buy from approved sellers. I couldnt answer you xenon question but from past experience blue xenons don't really mix when the domestic crowd.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
gxszone
2nd Gear Member

The car you bought is not a 100th anniversary. 2004 marked the 40 year so yours is 39 lol
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Its the Ford 100th Anniversary (1903-2003)edition not the Mustang Anniversary (1964-1999 or 2004).
Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM
gxszone
2nd Gear Member

Oh ok
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Might as well get the full catback. And look into MGW short shifters, I heard they are smooth as butter and I've read nothing but good reviews about them. Also, I know some guys on here have HID kits for headlights, maybe someone will chime in and answer your question about the wiring.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 AM
sweetcoupe

yea that whole anny thing got me too at first lol.

See I like the sound I have now I just want it louder which is why im going with the flowmasters (ive read on here that they are what I want). Will the welded on flowmasters give me a different sound or just not as loud? I just didnt think the pipe is what made the sound but maybe it does. And the car only has 18000 miles so the pipes on should be in decent condition.

Was it hard to install that shifter? It looks like you can di it from inside the car right?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
2003mustang
1st Gear Member

i have a 03 gt convertible i will tell u this the shifter is easy to install i have a hurst first thing look on your door where sticker is and look at transmission code if its K under TR code then it a tremec 3650 i believe and make sure u get correct shifter but the only hard thing i found is ford uses the sealant where the base of shifter bolts to the transmission to prevent moisture and keep out dust..i hope your very strong because i had to have a friend who is strong pull really hard like 2 or 3 times to remove stock shifter base from transmission.

and yes u can do it in the car

hope this helps

heath
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

hey man I almost got the Sentenial edition too. A black one. It looked sweet! but it was more expensive. I wish i would have gotten it. It looked so sick! But I got the regular 2003 GT. I had my flowmasters welded in and they sounded great, turned some heads...but then I cut out the cats...and turn every head now. it sounds good. I had my flows welded in for 300. But after that i found a guy that woulda done it for like 100 or 150. But that was out of his house. He cut my cats off for me thoguh. Anyways good luck man.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

MGW on the shifter. I installed mine a few weeks ago. Very nice, great improvement over stock. Easy to install. Flowmasters will definitely make your car sound different. Not sure if I'd pay $300 to have them welded in though, I'd just get the whole catback in your situation. Another thing..most will tell you one of the best mods to do is swap out your rear gears. My next thing is to go to 4.10 gears...that will run you around $500-600 parts and labor. If you want your car to feel much faster, they say that is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Just bought Stang...Lookin to hook it up