4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

o/r X or H in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:08 AM
psykobrat
1st Gear Member

Default o/r X or H in NJ

Hey guys, i was looking at gettin eitheran X or H pipe, still haven't decided on which yet... the only problem is, it's a lot more for the models w/ the cats..Does anybody live in New Jersey (all laws suck here)... and use the o/r models w/o the cats? if so have you had any problem w/ cops? if i were to buy the o/r style w/o the cats, couldn't i just bolt it right up to my excisting cats or no? Just trying to get a good tone/nice power with less cops bothering me... I have a local exhaust shop, so if i can just kinda piece this together, let me know what i gotta do to save a bit of money... thnx!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:42 AM
arcticman37
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: o/r X or H in NJ

ORIGINAL: psykobrat

Hey guys, i was looking at gettin eitheran X or H pipe, still haven't decided on which yet... the only problem is, it's a lot more for the models w/ the cats..Does anybody live in New Jersey (all laws suck here)... and use the o/r models w/o the cats? if so have you had any problem w/ cops? if i were to buy the o/r style w/o the cats, couldn't i just bolt it right up to my excisting cats or no? Just trying to get a good tone/nice power with less cops bothering me... I have a local exhaust shop, so if i can just kinda piece this together, let me know what i gotta do to save a bit of money... thnx!
1. NO, the cats are attached to your mid-pipe when you remove your stock peice then the cats go with it.

2. Just buy a new mid pipe, welding in different crossover peices would be a waste of your time: Too much time/cost in welding and no power gains. Why chop up your stock 2.25' midpipe when you could just buy one with more performance for 150 bucks??

Check with people around where you live, I have to have emmisions where I live as well and a simple tune to cut off my MIL's gets me a pass everytime as for the police around here they really dont care. So check how everything is where you live and that will answer your question.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 AM
psykobrat
1st Gear Member

Which would you suggest for me though, the X or H? I use the car as a daily driver... I heard the X is mainly for high end HP and has a higher pitch, and the H is for lower end torque and has a deeper sound? If the X is only gonna add a bit of HP at real high RPM's, than i probably wouldn't want that cuz i don't really get the RPM's too high very oftenon it cuz all the rd's i need to drive on to work and school are small rd's... and would i even notice anything (sound or power) if i get the H for the lower end?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i have to pass emissions here in ga so i got a pypes high-flow catted x pipe and i love it. i think it sounds awesome and i can notice the added power. i also have flowmaster catback but the kit was a couple of hundred dollars and it bolted in perfect fit... so i love mine!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
GTVert00
2nd Gear Member

I'm in NJ and I've actually debated it for awhile now. I'd just go with the o/r x-pipe and get the MIL's to remove the CEL. It's just 4 bolts to get the mid-pipe on and off so whenever you have an inspection coming up, I'd just throw it up on jacks and swap it out for the stock one. Cops don't usually care in NJ as long as you're not over-revving and being obnoxious you won't get in trouble
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 AM
psykobrat
1st Gear Member

alright cool, thanks a lot man, and i see you have the SLP LM2... how are they, i hear the LM2's are a deeper tone than the LM1's... i like the sound of them, and was gonna pick them up to go behind the mid's
Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 AM
psykobrat
1st Gear Member

And also, what about prochamber mids, any ups or downs to them?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
GTVert00
2nd Gear Member

alright cool, thanks a lot man, and i see you have the SLP LM2... how are they, i hear the LM2's are a deeper tone than the LM1's... i like the sound of them, and was gonna pick them up to go behind the mid's
I love my LM2s, they sound amazing. Keep in mind though, you'll almost never get a quiet ride. If you do long highway trips, get used to the droning, but I guess I'd say that about any car with any exhaust. But let me tell you, when I open it up, it screams. I'd really recommend them. I'm going with a Pypes o/r x-pipe, they're $165 on Brenspeed's website, can't really beat that for something that bolts right up
Old 12-13-2007, 11:17 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

I usedto live in NJ and I ran an o/r h-pipe with MIL's. I used to have a guy that would pass me even without the cats. I never had a problem with the cops, but someone told me that the EPA charges you a few hundred dollars per missing cat. All I can say is don't get caught. [8D]
Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM
banginstang07
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTVert00

I love my LM2s, they sound amazing. Keep in mind though, you'll almost never get a quiet ride. If you do long highway trips, get used to the droning, but I guess I'd say that about any car with any exhaust. But let me tell you, when I open it up, it screams. I'd really recommend them. I'm going with a Pypes o/r x-pipe, they're $165 on Brenspeed's website, can't really beat that for something that bolts right up
I have LM2's and i love them but i really dont think there loud at all on highway trips there is no drone from what i can tell. I've driven my friends with flow's and wow i couldn't stand the drone with those. I personally am getting an o/r x soon not sure which brand yet though.

Quick Reply: o/r X or H in NJ