4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Drag Radials..... what are you guys running and what are your opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 PM
JT76

Default Drag Radials..... what are you guys running and what are your opinions?

I need new rear drag radialtires for the TA to run on the street (after being on a bunch of the Ls1 sites, this is still the best place to get info, go figure ). What are you guys running and what are your opinions?

this is what a guy told me on an LSX forum about MT drag radials:
"there was an article when the tires hit the market. a spokesman for MT said the sidewalls werent designed for stick shift cars. and i as i rememer, its on their website as well(or was).
several local guys have tried them with 6 spds and always spun them.
back to the article, the sidewalls were designed to have constant force on them."

I never really liked MT's anyway. I had them on my GT and they picked up EVERYTHING on the street (got a flat tire at the track on the return road from arock) So im really looking at BFG's or Hoosiers. Not a fan of Nittos eiether, my TA came with them.. spin spin spin[&:]
Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Drag Radials..... what are you guys running and what are your opinions?

i have nittos.....they suck.

i've heard MT's are the best, but too sticky for me i guess.

in the spring im gonna pick up some BFG drag radials and give them a try.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
JT76

Default RE: Drag Radials..... what are you guys running and what are your opinions?

anyone else?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:58 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I put 17K on my MT ET Street Radials, no complaints for the street.

Though I've never been able to pull a good 60' either.

The tires werent designed for manuals though huh....darn, that must be why I could never get my times down. [8D] I would assume they arent designed for stalled autos either then.[]
Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

I put 17K on my MT ET Street Radials, no complaints for the street.

Though I've never been able to pull a good 60' either.

The tires werent designed for manuals though huh....darn, that must be why I could never get my times down. [8D] I would assume they arent designed for stalled autos either then.[]

How wide where they and how much tire pressure did you have them set on?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:44 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

275/40/17's

25, 22, 18,17.. no air pressure seemed to want to work

i attribute it to the following:

track prep
driver error
lack of driver skill
and me
Old 12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Ahhhhh.....

You should try switching to Just E/T Streets "cheater slicks"

get them about 27 inches high, about 10.5 wide, and on some 15 inch drag wheel like a Welds Prostar...... Put them at around 12 psi, give em a nice long burn out.... and GO!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
nathansee3
3rd Gear Member

BFG DR's, I have had them 10K miles and they hook really good. Can launch really hard on the street. They probally can go another 5K maybe a little more if I keep the burnouts to a minimum. They are cheap too. 315/35/17.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I tried the 315 Nitto's. For the street, they are perfect for me. Just enough traction to use most of 1st gear and still not wear out too soon. But for the drag strip, the suck royally. I did get a 7.66 out of them one night but that was about it.

I just recently used a 275 M/T ET Street Radial and my car ran a 7.59 on them (1/8 mile of course). This is with a much stiffer spring in the rear (H&R Race) and they don't weight transfer nearly as well as the stock springs do. I'd say my car would easily be a 7.39-7.45 with my stock springs back in. So for the track, these tires are great... I love them. I wouldnt use them for the street as they wear out too quickly.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

I tried the 315 Nitto's. For the street, they are perfect for me. Just enough traction to use most of 1st gear and still not wear out too soon. But for the drag strip, the suck royally.
+1, they are what I run and the sentence above really sums it up!

Quick Reply: Drag Radials..... what are you guys running and what are your opinions?