4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

!!!!!!HYDROLOCK!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

Default !!!!!!HYDROLOCK!!!!!!!!!

I live in Mass.It poured like hell today.I was driving to home depot.I rounded a corner and there it was,,,,A puddle half way up to my headlights.The car started bogging and there was nothing i could do.I had a buddy with me and we got out and pushed it out of this puddle.The car wont start.My brother in law picked it up with his flatbed and told me that if theres water in there its done.When it died it would'nt turn but after a few it did until the battery was dyin then it locked up again.So my brother in law starts clockin miles on the trip and says he is gonna charge my ins company and says i need a new engine probably.I dont want to be taken and any input would be great.By the way ,I am takin my cai out and goin with the stock airbox cause i dont think that this would have happened if my air filter was'nt way down n the front fender.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Default RE: !!!!!!HYDROLOCK!!!!!!!!!

wow that sucks a lot, im pretty sure that trying to start it after you knew water was in there was a bad choice. But hey maybe you can get some more hp out of this with a nice new engine... try to make this a good thing, thats what i would do
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

Yeah,I knew it deep down but my old lady is 3 days overdue with our third kid and theres no cell service there plus i was there for 3 hours soaked from the knees down
Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Yeah i know the feeling, one of my friends sunk his jeep when it was about 45 out and i was waist deep for a few hours trying to get it out... it sucks

Good luck with everything though
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man,It really kills me its inly got 26k on it
Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
usermst9673
2nd Gear Member

keep tryin to start it man my friend thought his 4 runner was done and low and behold it started up just fine a few days later. Might have to hold the gas to the floor when you start it though. You might want to try this!

Regardless of the cause, treatment is the same. Removal of the spark plugs will allow access to the combustion chamber. By inserting an irrigation syringe fitted with a flexible plastic tube on the end, you can suck out the liquid that infiltrated the combustion chamber. Once all the fluid is removed, the chamber should be sprayed with a liberal coating of a water displacing lubricant such as WD40, and allowed to sit until the remaining water has evaporated. Once the water or coolant has been removed, inspect the combustion chamber for rust. The best option would be to remove the head, but a borescope or small flashlight and mirror will also work. Light surface rust will be normal, but if you see any heavy corrosion, it should be gently removed, and vacuumed out of the chamber. After inspection, pour a tablespoon of assembly lube (such as Marvel Mystery Oil) or clean engine oil into each combustion chamber. Attach a socket to the crankshaft, and slowly rotate the engine through a few revolutions. (Make sure that you turn the engine in the proper direction, see a service manual for proper rotation direction.) If you hear any clanking, or harsh scraping, you should bring the engine to a competent mechanic. After verifying that the remaining systems are free of water (electrical, fuel delivery, air intake, distributor, etc.), re-install the spark plugs and wires, and attempt to start the engine.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

where in MA do you live?I live in CT and have a stock shortblock from my 03 i can sell ya if you cant fix the current one...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
00raging stang
4th Gear Member

sucks man from the pic in your sig the car looks like it was real sharp too, sorry to hear this
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

maybe the fusebox got wet so it wont crank... try turning it over by hand.... take the intake off and look in the throtte body for water
Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i thought my car was done 2 months ago. i hit a huge puddle and sucked water through my intake. turns out all i had to do was clean my MAF off, i put my stock intake back on (not going through that again) and it fired right up.

from what i was told the filter basically has to be submerged for you to get enuff water in your engine to hydrolock it. start with cleaning your MAF as i'm sure you atleast got some water in your intake tube, and let everything dry up. then see if it will crank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !!!!!!HYDROLOCK!!!!!!!!!