4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

sugar in the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default sugar in the gas tank

what could actually case a rocker to fall off? Im working on this 00 ford f150 with a 4.6. It had sugar in it supposably. We cleaned the tank, line, filter, replaced filter, strainer, and pump. blew outall the lines. the motor was rebuilt before the sugar was added. they cranked it up, was running like crap. tore off the plugs and injectors, injectors were fine, plugs were obvisouly ****ed. I looked down the spark plug hole on the driver side 3rd cylindar. Something looked funny. So we tore off the valve cover and what do ya know, the rocker is sitting in the bottom of the head and the valve is stuck. I slide the rocker back on and we spin the motor by hand. It cycles back to normal, with the rocker in constant contact with the lobe of the cam. Then the motor locks and we can no longer turn it by hand, whatsoever. The starter turns it with no problem, and appears to make no taping noises such as a valvecrashing a piston. we look at the other side, its fine, put everything back together, crank it up, the rocker is knocking soooo bad. all the other cylindars are fine.

so what could of caused this? could sugar do this? I wont really know whats wrong til i pull the head off and see if the valve is bent, or the piston is damaged.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: sugar in the gas tank

heard sugar was a myth..
Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I dunno, this is my buddies dad's truck. Someone owed him money, he took their truck b/c they did not pay, the guy poisons his truck and supossably this is where we are. We pulled the plugs, he poisened it with something b/c it wouldnt run, maybe sand, b/c it was real gritty, i dunno though...
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

idk man... i doubt its anything that got poured in....
http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
" Because sugar doesn't dissolve in automotive fuel, it doesn't carmelize, and so it does not turn into the debilitating gunk this well-known entry in the revenge canon calls for. "
" Instead, sugar poured into a car's gas tank stays intact. While sugar could still cause harm if it reached the engine (but in the same way sand would, by virtue of its being a granular contaminant, not because the sugar would turn into a syrup), even that potential harm is generally prevented by filtration. At the end of the pickup tube in the gas tank is a "sock" that blocks solid materials, so the fuel gets through, but precious little that's not liquid does. Further up the line is the fuel filter, and what may have got through the "sock" does not get past it."

perhaps they got under the hood somehow though and poured something in it....im not sure....wish i knew more
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Wasnt this an episode of Mythbusters
Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
01redstang
3rd Gear Member

true the sugar granules would of gotten trapped in the fuelfilters.... how about salt??? does salt disolve with gasoline?????
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

yea mythbusterd "busted" that myth
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
96GT_PSL
2nd Gear Member

i'd mess my truck up too if someone was gonna take it from me. [&:]
Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Thats why i wish all cars came with locking gas caps. Im terrified of something like this happening
Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

ORIGINAL: blackGTcp

Thats why i wish all cars came with locking gas caps. Im terrified of something like this happening
I hate locking gas caps. I had one on my old GT and it was just annoying.

Quick Reply: sugar in the gas tank