4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Burnout's

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Burnout's

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

It's much easier to do with a manual.
Not really.

Let's see you sit in bumper to bumper traffic and do a nice smokey burnout with another car 6 inches from your front bumper. Sure you might be able to do this, but I sure as hell wouldn't try. A split second off on the timing and you've just re-decorated your front bumper and the rear bumper of the car in front of you.

I actually did this once with my 99 GT auto. I had just gotten the car and some 16-18 year old kids pulled up next to me and said, "can you spin the tires?". I just looked at them and said, "you mean like this?" and lit them up. lol, they were impressed... even if they shouldn't have been. ANY automatic rear-wheel drive car can powerbrake.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert

Not really.

Let's see you sit in bumper to bumper traffic and do a nice smokey burnout with another car 6 inches from your front bumper. Sure you might be able to do this, but I sure as hell wouldn't try. A split second off on the timing and you've just re-decorated your front bumper and the rear bumper of the car in front of you.

I actually did this once with my 99 GT auto. I had just gotten the car and some 16-18 year old kids pulled up next to me and said, "can you spin the tires?". I just looked at them and said, "you mean like this?" and lit them up. lol, they were impressed... even if they shouldn't have been. ANY automatic rear-wheel drive car can powerbrake.
I'll pass, thanks. Common sense makes too much sense to me.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

keep your foot on the brake and burry it...if you fail you shouldnt be drivin a stang
Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert

Not really.

Not that I would, but it wouldn't be that hard. Instead of switcing your feet over, all you have to do is heel the brake and toe the gas, leaving your left foot on the clutch. Very easy, and you don't move.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

i disagree i have yet to do a succesful burnout with my 5spd

just do breakstands, ie push the brake as hard as u can and then floor the throttle thats how i do it at the track and u can c the results in the video below

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2tx9w-Npc9w
Old 03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

I've seen guys 'fail' at doing it with autos, but never seen it with manuals (not saying it never happens). Brake stands may be easier (debateable), but if/when a driver tries and fails...well, he looks bad. Last time I saw a driver do that, I almost died laughing.
i've failed with my 5sp because i forgot TC was on [:@]. was in oreilly's parking lot with like 6 people watching (including a father and young son, an old guy, some guy and his chick, and the oreilly's staff). it was embaressing but i redeemed myself and got it right...they still make fun of me when i go in there and this was like 3 months ago.

brake stands are easy in a manual...just put your heel on the brake and turn your foot sideways and hit the gas with your toe and dump the clutch. and doing it that way your car will not move just like in an auto so your not going to hit a car infront of you...but i wouldnt do it with only a 6 inch pillow because brakes do slip.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigbuttluver

I hate to sound like I dont know nothing but if I dont ask I will never learn. I just seen a video on burnouts I was wondering how r they done in an automatic.
You don't know nothing?? BY GOLLY! That's a double negative!!
SO that means you do know something!

Jk haa... just push in the brakes and floor it.

With my manual... I hold the clutch in and put my other foot on the gas. I then mash on the gas pedal, release the clutch and put it on the brakes, all in a quick motion. Works like cake. I still dont understand the heal toe thing lol... feels so wierd.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Dans88stang
2nd Gear Member

For manual do you guys keep it in 2nd?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dans88stang

For manual do you guys keep it in 2nd?
2nd gear burnouts create more smoke(spinning faster) but they can be a tad more difficult(have to dump the clutch higher). Doing a burnout isn't exactly a problem for me but I just keep it in 1st because I'm lazy.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

if i have trac control off and just punch it will at a complete start i can start burning and as long as i keep it at a high enough rpm's i dont have to touch the brake....

Quick Reply: Burnout's