4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Open up the hood "intake"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Open up the hood "intake"

dude its such a pain in the *** to get the hood scoop off. Mine has a custom ram air kit that made the original hood scoop functional. It was such a pain in the ***** but it cost me a lot less than gettiing a shaker scoop system.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

^^^^Speaking of idiots.

Don't listen to people that tell you not to do something when they have never done it. He obviously never did it. The hood scoop is held on by bolts. I have had mine cut for 3 years now. I have buried the speedometer (past 150mph) and the scoop barely did anything. When it rains barely any water gets in the engine bay and it cooks off instantlyunless you open the hood right after you finish driving or washing the car. There is no way in hell that water can get to the filter from the hood scoop. You have to drive into a lake at 6000+rpms to suck any water into engine and damage it.

The only thing he is right about is there is no performance gain. But I did get a few more mpg on the freeway. When I had a MAC metal CAI it used to get hot as hell and couldnt touch it but after cutting the hood it was cool to the touch. Now that I have a Trickflow intake manifold it keeps it nice and cool to the touch.

Ok tough guy.. how about your actually put some thought into what you are saying instead of just posting b/c you tried it and think your cool... there was only one thing that I said that was wrong and that is how the scoop was held on.. and thats only because I wasn’t stupid enough to actually try something so asinine as to make it "functional".... 1) you dont need an stock engine with some bolt ons any cooler then what it is normally... how much of an advantage did that colder mac cai get ya? Nothing!!!.. good idea to waste your time on getting that fake scoop functional huh?!.. 2) Just because you have been lucky enough to not get any water sucked up from it doesnt mean it cant happen as I have known retards who have tried this and have it happen. 3) the hood scoop is not held on good like I said.. if you paid attention then you would see that I put the 3m tape in parenthesis and stated that "I think" it was .. as in... Im not sure and am just guessing at that part based on all the stories I have heard about it ripping off.. and oh gee look.. even after you posted that a person (99mustanggt) posted saying that their scoop ripped off after trying this... good job on being wrong!!

so I still stand by the fact that its a waste of time to do this.. if you need to cool your engine just man up and buy a hood designed to do so and stop being such a cheap ***... wasting your time and getting nothing out of it.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

LOL the guy that posted that his ripped off had a 99 which has a taller scoop and is held on with less bolts which would probably make it easier to get ripped off. But I'm sure you didn't know that. But the op asked about 01-04. Lots of guys in my town have them open and not a single one ripped off. If you knew anything about engines and how they work you would know that you can get a gain but just doing is will gain nothing. I don't want to hurt your head with to much info so I'll dumb it down for you. Colder air charge allows more timing. So there is your performance gain, if you have a tuner. But like I said before there is no gain from just doing it just like there is no gain from just adding a intercooler to a sc set up unless you bump timing. It is physicaly impossible for water to get sucked into the intake from the hood scoop.

Like I said before, if you have never tried it you have no right to tell someone it is a bad idea.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
chriswells78
1st Gear Member

I don't have a scoupe but I did cut out my scoupe area and replace the honeycomb with a decorative plate from Ebay. I have been cought out in the rain a few times and it has never caused a problem. It's been done for 6 years now. You just have to be careful when you wash it not to directly spray the hose into there.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Or you can just remove your passenger side head light for a ram air type of effect. Works well with me although I dontfeel any power gains from it or difference at this point.... Anything past 450rwhp just feels like fast to me..... Another 4 to 5 rwhp I don't feel it.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

LOL the guy that posted that his ripped off had a 99 which has a taller scoop and is held on with less bolts which would probably make it easier to get ripped off. But I'm sure you didn't know that. But the op asked about 01-04. Lots of guys in my town have them open and not a single one ripped off. If you knew anything about engines and how they work you would know that you can get a gain but just doing is will gain nothing. I don't want to hurt your head with to much info so I'll dumb it down for you. Colder air charge allows more timing. So there is your performance gain, if you have a tuner. But like I said before there is no gain from just doing it just like there is no gain from just adding a intercooler to a sc set up unless you bump timing. It is physicaly impossible for water to get sucked into the intake from the hood scoop.

Like I said before, if you have never tried it you have no right to tell someone it is a bad idea.
ROFL... reading your posts is like watching the special Olympics.. they think they are good but it's only because they are competing against other retards... I'm sure the people in your town are helping you feel really smart... rofl... Ill tell you what.. fell free to advance the timing based on the slight temp change you are getting with that cut out you made in the hood and send me the before and after dyno sheets showing that you got any gain from it.. its what maybe 1hp.... you cant feel anything.. the car wont win any additional races.. and yes .. you just wasted your time... hell for that matter putting on a cai on an n/a 2v at all is just a waste of time b/c you get a whole 5hp from it.. yeah.. money well spent..rofl.

no matter how you slice it.... cutting a hole in your stock hood will not get you anything more then not cutting it up... its a stupid cheap *** way to do something that is not going to pay off at all. If you want to be ghetto and waste your time then feel free to do whatever you want.. hey while your at it why dont you put on a big 3 tier race wing .. that’s a good waste of time... oh wait Im sure you think that the down force you are getting can get your car to perform better too right?!..rofl... or hey how about some big *** 20's ...thats just as ridiculous... apparently you like to waste your time so knock yourself out.

with your methodology.. the poor guy who listens to you will end up like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijJgZWGO3VI
that is of course assuming that the is not a video of you which is highly suspect based on the way you are talking.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Or you can just remove your passenger side head light for a ram air type of effect. Works well with me although I dontfeel any power gains from it or difference at this point.... Anything past 450rwhp just feels like fast to me..... Another 4 to 5 rwhp I don't feel it.
I agree.. that's actually a good way to get the job done.. and much better then slicing up your stock hood.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

When building power every little bit counts.

You think that fake *** cobra r spliter did anything other then make your car ugly? No, so I guess your into wasteing your time.

You started this thread out by being an *** and calling people idiots for doing something you have no experience doing so shut the **** up and move the **** on. No one cares what you have to say.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

When building power every little bit counts.

You think that fake *** cobra r spliter did anything other then make your car ugly? No, so I guess your into wasteing your time.

You started this thread out by being an *** and calling people idiots for doing something you have no experience doing so shut the **** up and move the **** on. No one cares what you have to say.
well.. Ive never hit myself in the foot with a hammer but I still know its not a good idea... rofl... just because I havent tried something doesnt mean that I cant know its a bad idea..... lol..dont cry its ok.. the difference is... ugly or not I rightfully acknowledge that the cobra front fascia is purely cosmetic and subjective to personal taste and completely and totally NOT "functional"... my car is no better with it then without it...

yes.. I did call the guy who told the op to cut a hole in his hood an idiot.. that's because he is an idiot to suggest that... and now I'm calling you an idiot for doing it too.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

LOL the guy that posted that his ripped off had a 99 which has a taller scoop and is held on with less bolts which would probably make it easier to get ripped off. But I'm sure you didn't know that. But the op asked about 01-04.
wrong, the 01-04 scoops are taller
here's a 99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3756.m14.l1318

here's a 04

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1318#mainimage

Quick Reply: Open up the hood "intake"