4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

1997 GT slight engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Ninetyseven

Default 1997 GT slight engine knock

ive been reading about the 4.6 ticking issues, but mine seems like its a bit different. Im getting a slight knocking ONLY when the car is in gear (manual trans). When the car idles, i hear nothing. But when its under load, there is a light knocking on the passenger side of the engine. Anyone have any ideas? I just bought the car. It has 149km on it, and im obviously worried there may be a serious issue.

Should i have my mechanic look at it this week? Im hoping its just a lifter or something. Anything you guys can let me know would be very, very welcomed!
thanks!!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1997 GT slight engine knock

I had a knocking also and it was a spun bearing on the crank..
Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

A bottom end knock would happen regardless of load or engine speed. These cars don't have lifters, they have lash adjusters, and being so close to the valve cover, it would be a very audible noise. Have any exhaust leaks on the passenger side bank?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Ninetyseven

yeah, the knock actually happened once today it seemed when the engine wasnt under load. It seems to be most noticeablewhen driving between 1500-2500 rpm, if that means anything. But again, every time i hear it (virtually) its when driving. Right after i heard it tonight on a ride with my wife, i shifted into neutral and revved the engine a little and no noise could be heard. As soon as i slipped it into 3rd gear and accelerated, the knock could be heard quite easily.

Ive also noticed a slight "clacking" when you start out in 1st gear - right at the end up the engage point as you start moving. This is a new vehicle for me, so im noticing every new sound...perhaps more paranoid than i should be =)

As for the exhaust leak, what would be the best way to determine if thats the culprit (the light knocking)? Im just worried i have a major issue and am going to have to sink money into a previously affordable car.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

do you have a cold air intake on your car??? because i have a JLT cold air kit on my car and whenever im in that range, i can hear a taping noise from the right side and its because youre hearing the intake pulses through the cold air intake. thats just a thought though. it might be a lower end rod knock but that would be noticable and wouldnt stop. i think if you have an intake, that might be your culprit. but i could be wrong. anyone else thinking this???
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Check your u-joints. Sounds like it happens ONLY when you put load through the drivetrain.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

if its an exhaust leak than usually you'll hear it while driving, but at idle and when your slowing down, like you let off the gas, then you can't hear it. hopefully tahts all it is.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Ninetyseven

good enough guys.. really appreciate the input. HOPEFULLY its just an exhaust leak. I went out again just now, and cant hear it at all during idle. As for a cold air intake, it just has a K&N filter on the stock intake from what i can tell.

I may swing it by my mechanic on Monday to see if they can pinpoint anything. At least going in there, i now have a couple ideas of what it might be. If anyone has anything else to suggest, by all means keep it coming.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Hey, hey, hey! Dont forget what I said. Check your U-joints. If it clicks/knocks, only under load and when transmitting power, it could very well be a 3 dollar joint.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

Hey, hey, hey! Dont forget what I said. Check your U-joints. If it clicks/knocks, only under load and when transmitting power, it could very well be a 3 dollar joint.
this could be it as well but if it sounds like its coming from the front passenger side i doubt it. and i've never heard of a cai making a ticking or clicking sound. only a sound as if its sucking in air, never a ticking. thats a enw one to me.

Quick Reply: 1997 GT slight engine knock