4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ladder bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default Ladder bars

This winter I'm gonna be finishing my suspension setup, and was thinking about rear suspension.

I want to 60' like a mother****er. The faster the better. Like a 1.4 or 1.3 if possible. So I was looking into a ladder bar setup. It seems simple and effective. But I'm not exactly sure how I'd set one up on a new edge. Anybody have any experience or know-how on this?

For front suspension I was planning on tubular k member and a-arms with MMR coilovers using Lakewood 90/10's. But as far as the rear I'm still up in the air about it.

So if anyone has any info on a ladder bar setup, or a way to make a stock style suspension 60' like I mentioned, I'd appreciate the help.

And I know this will come up, so I'm going to take care of it now:

No, I don't have the power right now for a crazy rediculous suspension setup. But I want to work on the suspension this winter, and I only want to do it once. I don't want to get a setup that'll work for me now, but I'll do nothing but spin when I get more power.

Oh, and my goal is a high to mid 9 second car. I understand how fast that is.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Wow, only 4 views. Maybe I should have changed the thread title so people will at least look at it.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Call these guys http://autofabcart.net/index.aspx . A ladder set up will not be very nice on the street.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

OK, thanks Oxford.

I really couldn't care less about street driving quality. The car is gonna be a track car, with the occasional drive around town.

Does anyone else have any ideas for rear suspension? I'm open to suggestions. I'm not set on ladder bars or anything. Any suggestions for being able to get a really low 60' are welcome.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
mustangman281
Banned

I cut a 1.5 with my set up and am guessing that with slicks I should get around a 1.3-1.4.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

As far as I know, a ladder bar setup means more or less a back-half race car. They preform great, are easier to dial in then a four link, but it's still alot of work. As for the times you're looking for, MMR claimed to hit 1.29 60's with their new edge car using the factory style suspension. The right shock and spring combo with a good set of adjustable uppers and lowers and an anti roll might go a long way. I'm looking into a coilover setup and UPR control arms with spherical bushings.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

well, after having driven to the track, make a run, and drive home with AC on, I'd have to say what both I and blackonblacksls are thinking. IRS. I honestly couldn't believe how well it hooked on street tires, and I cut a 1.7 60' leaving off of idle, experienced zero wheelhop, and that was running with the same spring rate/ride height that I drive on the street.

I imagine had I been at a track with a DA better than 5800', and running the Hoosier's, I could have been mid tens with my set up right now, with what I trapped, I imagine so if I launched the car.

It does get a bit costly, but you won't sacrafice anything as far as comfort goes, I think the Maximum motorsports grip box that I went with was about 5300 after taxes, and I already had a tubular K-member.

I imagine running a similar set up with weight transfer in mind would result in some sick 60' times especially for a street car.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Low 1.4's or better are inevitable if you have the power. Check out an anti roll bar from wolfe racecraft or baseline suspension. Other than that, it's the usual. Coilovers, adjustable shocks/struts or 90/10's and 50/50's and lots of chassis stiffening.

What tranny are you running? It's gonna be really tough to get there with stock tranny gearing. A LOW first gear is good for getting off the line, but once you get so fast, 1st gear will be over before the 60ft.

I cut a 1.43 on a very basic street/strip stock suspension and stock 5speed. If I had one word of advice, it would be to go with a 28in tire no questions asked

P.S. Be prepared to break any and everything that's stock on the car. Don't forget about tq box reinforcements out the ***!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:02 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

well i have to say that you got lucky with your IRS that time. i wouldnt expect that to happen everytime you got to the track.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
well i have to say that you got lucky with your IRS that time. i wouldnt expect that to happen everytime you got to the track.
Ignorance at its finest. How many times have you launched an IRS at the track? I've seen a 99 Cobra pull the wheels about 4ft with a beefed up IRS.

Quick Reply: Ladder bars