4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So I crashed my car and insurance says..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
mustangman281
Banned

When a car with subframes has bent frames they pull out the old subframes and replace them with new ones. They only bend frames back on cars with full frames.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
When a car with subframes has bent frames they pull out the old subframes and replace them with new ones. They only bend frames back on cars with full frames.
Do they have to be cut out to be replaced?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

With today's frame machines, it can be set better than oem because there is laser alignment. This is not to say the car is actually better because in my opinion a car wrecked would never "feel" the same, even if it's just in your head.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

mines a salvage and you would never be able to tell by looking at it or driving it....well if you pop the hood you can tell it has been wrecked pretty bad, but looking at the outside it looks 100% fine

you can see it kinda bow in on the driver side, and you can see where the c/c plates are mounted, the driver side is higher than the passenger side....but without popping the hood you would never be able to tell

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 11-14-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
With today's frame machines, it can be set better than oem because there is laser alignment. This is not to say the car is actually better because in my opinion a car wrecked would never "feel" the same, even if it's just in your head.
sounds good enough to me then. My bad, I was thinking outside of the subframe thing i suppose. But hey, thats how you learn. Good info guys.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I heard someone mention trying to see if the supercharger needed replacing. I'm not positive, but I believe that unless you've had the car revalued since the install, I don't believe the insurance co. will cover the blower, or almost any other aftermarket parts for that matter, so that's not going to help get the cost up. But I do agree with everyone saying going to Ford for an estimate. Keep in mind, insurance companies are in business to make money. They're not going to look for the best shops to fix it when they're bidding, chances are they're looking for the most economical way to repair the damages.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:49 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
I heard someone mention trying to see if the supercharger needed replacing. I'm not positive, but I believe that unless you've had the car revalued since the install, I don't believe the insurance co. will cover the blower, or almost any other aftermarket parts for that matter, so that's not going to help get the cost up. But I do agree with everyone saying going to Ford for an estimate. Keep in mind, insurance companies are in business to make money. They're not going to look for the best shops to fix it when they're bidding, chances are they're looking for the most economical way to repair the damages.
you have to notify insurance that you have the supercharger.... hell, my insurance said they will even cover my wheels and cowl hood if i ever wreck it
Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Really?? Nice. But you do have to notify them of the modifications done on the car in order for them to pay for the replacement, correct?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:10 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
Really?? Nice. But you do have to notify them of the modifications done on the car in order for them to pay for the replacement, correct?
i guess it would depend on their mood that day...but i called and notified them of any extras that i need covered incase the car is wrecked
Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Whoa, and hold on, the estimate is 13,900 and the car is worth 18,500? According to my math that is over 75% of the vehicles value. I don't know how CA works it, but here in MD, once a vehicle hits 75% it is deemed a total loss, no if's, ands or buts. Find out that as well, what is the threshold in CA. No way it is 100%, that would be crazy.

I'm sure they are using NADA value.

My buddy just had a car fire in his 96 SS and they paid out 11,800 on that Piece of ****.

Quick Reply: So I crashed my car and insurance says..