4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

mustang mags

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

I noticed that too! The ones I've read are always either a fox body, S197 or a new edge Cobra. I'm also tired of how every single thing is about fi this, or fi that. Can't they ever do impressive NA builds? Not everyone is interested in making a not streetable fi beast. Some people would like to build NA's!

Btw, they could always do things like exhaust shootouts, intake shootouts etc. Also some drag articles pitting stock, mildly modded, and fully built Mustang generations against each other (fox vs new edge vs S197). There's many good stories.

Unfortunately what most don't realize is that mags are usually a giant advertisement. The stories you read are an indirect ad that was put in the magazine because the company dolled out parts for free, and sometimes lets the book do a writeup on their install. I used to work for a mustang mag, and that's unfortunately how it works!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=

Btw, they could always do things like exhaust shootouts, intake shootouts etc. Also some drag articles pitting stock, mildly modded, and fully built Mustang generations against each other (fox vs new edge vs S197). There's many good stories. QUOTE]

most of the cai/intake/exaust/underdrive oullies shootout have been done when our cars were fairly new. but i get what your saying
Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=jrherald420;5686199]
Originally Posted by

Btw, they could always do things like exhaust shootouts, intake shootouts etc. Also some drag articles pitting stock, mildly modded, and fully built Mustang generations against each other (fox vs new edge vs S197). There's many good stories. QUOTE

most of the cai/intake/exaust/underdrive oullies shootout have been done when our cars were fairly new. but i get what your saying
True but our cars came out many years ago, and they have many new parts that weren't available then, and finally most people that owned New Edge mustangs when they first came out sold them, and now new owners that didn't read those issues own New Edges.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
PowerShiftzGT
2nd Gear Member

haha i just go to the store and read them. But yeah they never seem to have our New edges in there.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

you feel that the new edge has been left out? What about the sn95's 96-98. There isnt any aftermarket to speak of for those. They are the redheaded step child of all the mustangs. I almost sold my gt, and commuter car to buy an s197 gt. Every time I open up I am disappointed because I never see anything sn95's or new edges. Personally I do not care for the fox's. But I am biased as I am actually a chevy guy driving a mustang.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
PowerShiftzGT
2nd Gear Member

yeah your right there really isn't any sn95 stuff in there either. I use to love when they showed those beautiful Sn95 cobras in there all the time. some of those people had some nice ones.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I would bet the reason you don't see many N/A buildups is because that's just not what the average owner is doing. Look at the N/A setups in our forum. The fast guys have a ton of time and money into their setups, and there are 3 of them in the timeslip thread running under 12.5. Slap a blower on and have a descent suspension setup and tire, you should hit mid 12s or better. You're average guy with a mustang that wants a fast street car is more likely to do that than to build their hole motor to run the same time.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrherald420
every time a new body style come out its like that. when the new edge first came out thats all that was in the mags. i have the last 12 years of mm&ff,5.0,hot rod, mustang monthly and a few others and its like that in them all (except hot rod)

^^^YUP! Thats pretty much how it is in all the car mags- "Out with the old, In with the new"
Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
I would bet the reason you don't see many N/A buildups is because that's just not what the average owner is doing. Look at the N/A setups in our forum. The fast guys have a ton of time and money into their setups, and there are 3 of them in the timeslip thread running under 12.5. Slap a blower on and have a descent suspension setup and tire, you should hit mid 12s or better. You're average guy with a mustang that wants a fast street car is more likely to do that than to build their hole motor to run the same time.
i agree with you 100% The old hot rodding days are over. Do it yourself performance parts have gone by the way side. Most people want something they can bolt on in the matter of a couple of hours and have no guess work.

Hot Rodding has gone from DIY to DIFM. Thats how all of these shops stay in business because people want to go fast but dont want to do the work for themselves.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

It's not just that, it's the way these engines are built today. You have an old fastback, you can probably almost stand next to the engine. And clearances being tighter is the least of worries. Guys who could build and tune a 302 with a distributor and carb like a pro look at our cars and see electronic fuel injection, computer controlled variable timing, overhead cams; for your average diy 5.0 street guy, these 4.6s can be a scary engine. People are afraid to do their own work past the boltons with the new cars, it's clear in the magazines. You have all these people who built nice foxbodies, then who builds all the new edges and S197s?? Saleen, Roush, Livernois, the various shops you see competitively racing NMRA.

Quick Reply: mustang mags