4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Weight Reduction questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 AM
kadoi
1st Gear Member

Yeah I guess forgot that lol, money is always a big one.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kadoi
Yeah I guess forgot that lol, money is always a big one.
Hahaha!!! I hear ya! I bought a set of Fikse Profil 5 for another project I have. They weigh 14 lbs each but you can't really take them on the street or you'll bend the hoop. Great wheels for the track though!

Almost forgot.....they were $900 a wheel!

John
Old 12-27-2008, 01:09 AM
kadoi
1st Gear Member

then again from a pure weight stand point unless you are only worried about straight line performace I think that pound for pound unsprung weight reduction will net you the most increase in a noticable difference.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:08 AM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

On my GT I ditched the rear seats(cushion, brackets, belts and all), alot of sound proofing, the dogbone, the quad shocks, the misc. weights under the rear, pro-dump exhaust, trunk mount battery. That was all very cheap and noticable in the seat of the pants.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kadoi
then again from a pure weight stand point unless you are only worried about straight line performace I think that pound for pound unsprung weight reduction will net you the most increase in a noticable difference.
True!

Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALMATT
On my GT I ditched the rear seats(cushion, brackets, belts and all), alot of sound proofing, the dogbone, the quad shocks, the misc. weights under the rear, pro-dump exhaust, trunk mount battery. That was all very cheap and noticable in the seat of the pants.
I did all of those except the battery relocate although that is my next project. I'm going to move mine under the passenger rear seat so that I can take advantage of the polar moment of inertia that I'll gain from locating it there. My car is set up for road racing so I'm not so concerned with the weight being in the trunk.

I definitely felt the car being quicker when I pulled all that stuff out of it but then again I'm sure the 4:10's helped a little too!

John
Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
ontariogt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AvidMustang
Go on a diet....srsly lose like 35 of ur own pounds!! lol
Ive been working out and damn as you get older it hard to shed 10 pounds man..LOL

OK it seems that the K Member is what you guys are talkin about however does anyone have any info on this, what is it bascially, doesn't it take away any safety to the car itself, I have heard repalcements for these and who makes them....Any info or pics would be great....

Last edited by ontariogt; 12-30-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Lot's of people make tubular K-Members. Maximum Motorsports, UPR, Griggs, etc. Replacing it will shed around 80lbs off the front end. Also, the aftermarket K-members are usually set up for better suspension geometry especially if you're lowering the car. That and some rear lower control arms would be sweet.

John
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
ajhnson

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Kmember and coilovers will be you best weight loss.

Rear seat delete is a waste of time and money unless you just take the seats out and dont put anything in there but either way a delete looks like crap.

There is alot of parts that can come off the car that are unneeded that can come off. Like the plastic weights behind the rear wheels. Look around the car you will find lots to take off.
I know this is an old post but what plastic weights behind the rear wheels?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Kmember and coilovers will be you best weight loss.

Rear seat delete is a waste of time and money unless you just take the seats out and dont put anything in there but either way a delete looks like crap.

There is alot of parts that can come off the car that are unneeded that can come off. Like the plastic weights behind the rear wheels. Look around the car you will find lots to take off.
What plastic weights?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

get rid of the AC depending on where you live and how much of a man you are... get rid of the stereo and the speakers... you don't really need to listen to music when you've got a car that sounds like a mustang

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction questions