4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Catch up info

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default Catch up info

Hey Guys,

Been off the board for a while, major home improvements, became a Grandpa, but now I have some time and want to start my upgrades. I have all the parts, however, I've been reading about some Trick Flow products for the 2v. I heard about heads, intake and cams. I found the intake in summit, but cant find anything about the heads and cams, not even on TF's website. Does anybody have any info where they can be found, or any HP gain info.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Armydad
Hey Guys,

Been off the board for a while, major home improvements, became a Grandpa, but now I have some time and want to start my upgrades. I have all the parts, however, I've been reading about some Trick Flow products for the 2v. I heard about heads, intake and cams. I found the intake in summit, but cant find anything about the heads and cams, not even on TF's website. Does anybody have any info where they can be found, or any HP gain info.
welcome back

i didnt save the new link to the trickflow heads.. im pretty sure that they are not "ready" to be purchased yet. im pretty sure people are just getting their names taken down to be able to have a set reserved for them... idk

im pretty sure that with the new heads, along with all other bolt ons and engine work, that you can get to 370+ RWHP N/A as opposed to the limit of around 330rwhp with other heads

somebody will come in with the link

goodluck with the build
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, how about the cams? I heard they are comprable to Crowers and come in around $449.

Also I've been reading the board the last couple days and I've noticed HP ratings have gone way up. When I first got into this there was only one 300+rwhp N/A car. Now people are talking 320-330 N/A withe heads and cams? What changed? are there better heads cams now? I really only want 300-320rwhp and want to stay N/A. Please help me get up to date.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks, how about the cams? I heard they are comprable to Crowers and come in around $449.

Also I've been reading the board the last couple days and I've noticed HP ratings have gone way up. When I first got into this there was only one 300+rwhp N/A car. Now people are talking 320-330 N/A withe heads and cams? What changed? are there better heads cams now? I really only want 300-320rwhp and want to stay N/A. Please help me get up to date.
im not the best with this topic, as i am still learning myself, but yes there are quite a few members with 300+ RWHP N/A...

a lot of people seem to talk about VT cams, which got sold out or something, and now the guy who used to grind the cams for VT started his own business called cushman motorsports... check out his website.. he makes custom grind cams, or just regular stage 1's, 2's, and so on.

also, a lot of people have been hyping up the hitech stage 2 cams..

again, i dont know much about these things, but those seem to be the main 2 choices..

remember, with stage 2+ cams, you will need new valve springs to compensate for the higher revving cams

basically stage 2 or 3 heads and stage 2+ cams will get you what you want. people will hopefully start coming in and give you their power ratings with what they have done and such

most likely, you will need some bolt ons like exhaust and such and than heads/cams to reach 320+rwhp.. and a nice tune

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 01-04-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...d.php?t=121612

there is the link for trick flow news.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

i recall a member on here, maybe ZW99gt, installed cushman stage 2's or a custom grind, and gained 40rwhp ?? something crazy like that

but i believe he has some patriot stage 2 or 3 heads and he is stroked with other bolts on i believe
Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Great info guys thanks. I have all the bolt ons and a new exhaust, PI (Bullit)heads, custom Houston Performance blower cams,I even have a V1 kit I picked up cheap. But I would rather stay N/A. I can always sell the blower cams and get the Bullits ported, if I have alternatives. I was basically going to keep the npi heads, do blower cams, pi intake, and throw the V1 kit on it. But I really dont want to be FI. I'd love to do just heads, cams, exhaust like the good old days.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Great info guys thanks. I have all the bolt ons and a new exhaust, PI (Bullit)heads, custom Houston Performance blower cams,I even have a V1 kit I picked up cheap. But I would rather stay N/A. I can always sell the blower cams and get the Bullits ported, if I have alternatives. I was basically going to keep the npi heads, do blower cams, pi intake, and throw the V1 kit on it. But I really dont want to be FI. I'd love to do just heads, cams, exhaust like the good old days.
these cars do sound good with heads/cams...

and you can always sell the blower too how much?!?!?

you'll get more power for less money with the supercharger since you got it for cheap.. but if you want an N/A monster, than build it up
Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Congratulations on the "Grandpa" stuff! I'm about 2-1/2 months away from being a Great Grandfather...
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Trickflow heads will be out in a month or so from what ive heard. They said to expect them in the first quarter of 2009. And you will hit 320rwhp probably with just those heads and stage 2 cams but with the new head design, you will be able to use up to .600 of lift cams without clearance issues. So you will probably love to have these heads. These heads, cushman stage 2.5 n/a cams, all the bolt-ons you already have, you are probably looking at 330-350rwhp being that your car is a 98 and your compression will be up'd. So i think you would be wise to get rid of the blower, cams, and heads you have and buy these items and that will put you at your power goal for n/a.

Quick Reply: Catch up info