4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bilstein Shocks and Struts VS. Adjustable Shocks and Struts!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Bilstein Shocks and Struts VS. Adjustable Shocks and Struts!!

Hey guys heres my setup i have a 18 saleen wheels 18x9 on all fours bilstein shocks and struts with Steeda Sport Lowering springs and Steeda X2 Ball Joints. I was wondering she rides pretty harsh like all the small cracks in the road i can feel and i was wondering would switching to adjustable shocks and struts smooth out the ride any? And what about the Poly urathane bushes the ones on her now are stock! Any thoughts?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

replacing the bushings should help the car feel a little better and can get rid of some of the annoying noises. But I doubt that buying adjustables is going to help toooo much, simply because you are lowered and it is a trade-off. You could look into getting some better seats though? More of what makes the lowered ride more uncomfortable to me is the crappy stock seats vs. some nice racing seats or maybe some mach 1/cobra seats. Just some thoughts, but hopefully someone can chime in who uses the adjustables.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Adjustable struts/shocks will let you set them to be softer than the Bilsteins, and maybe get a less harsh ride, however handling will suffer because the springs will then be taking charge of compression and rebound not the shocks.

You have big heavy wheels and tires, on a lowered car, with sport/racing shocks/struts--there's not really much you can do for a "cushier" ride then go back closer to stock on one or two of those components.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Adjustable shocks and struts help tremendously!!! I have eibach prokits and strange adjustable shocks/struts and i can tune the ride quality to where it rides every bit as good...or better...than stock. I mean set them on the softest setting for on the street and then if you need to handle, you adjust them when you get to where you are racing. I mean these things are amazing!!! Best investment so far to my stang.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

has anyone heard about replaceing the spring isolators and mybe bushings like above was said would help any? And would a lighter rim help more?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
has anyone heard about replaceing the spring isolators and mybe bushings like above was said would help any? And would a lighter rim help more?
Doubt ISO's would help at all, and bushings....nah

Lighter rims also wouldnt really help...When you have wider rims/tires, its easier for them to get into grooves and feel a lot of bumps.

Adjustables are nice, but the car will handle and body roll like a boat.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Not true at all. I have strange 10 ways...and when set to handle...they handle. but the ride also is sacrificed a little bit.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Not true at all. I have strange 10 ways...and when set to handle...they handle. but the ride also is sacrificed a little bit.
it is true, what the Whitefox meant is that when they are set to comfort(soft) they will feel like you're driving a grand marquis only with more body roll.

Iso's won't affect comfort anywhere near a noticeable amount unless you have one side with a shredded iso and one side without, if thats the case you'd notice a slight lean, they mainly prevent squeeks and such. Blown bushings will feel sloppy, the car will have a bit more body roll and less of a jarring effect. I'd say the bushings should be fine and shouldn't need to be replaced, I'd go over and check em all as well as regrease em while you're there.

Coilovers is the best of both worlds, you can increase the wheel rate dramatically with coilovers while comfort is not sacrificed at all. With my old setup (HD bilstein shocks/struts, front/rear MM coilover 325#/225# and about 1" off the ground) I had a much more comfortable car than people that were an 1" or more higher than mine with a decent setup(my friend had H&R sports with tokico d specs).

Anyways, with steeda sport springs your car shouldn't be too unbearable. What profile tires are you using? smaller the sidewall the less the tires can absorb. Also, what was the last thing you did before you felt like this?

Last edited by Aereon; 02-01-2009 at 01:21 AM.