4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Long Tube Headers Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
ok, so everything is a waste and we shouldnt mod our cars? damn....
i didnt say that, i just letting him know what to expect from various mods....
Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

get the headers, you'll love the sound of the l/ts with a good midpipe
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

LT + O/R H = FTW
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
I have done before and after dyno results, i picked up 10rwhp from my headers...
+1
I have read posts from others that have done before and after dynos. And this is with an off-road mid-pipe. I went with a catted mid-pipe and saw no gain at all (dyno runs were months apart so that could have throw off the results). Similar gains have been demonstrated by those who have only installed an off-road mid-pipe on stock exhaust manifolds.

The huge gains some brag about have come as a result of LTs, o/r mid-pipe and a tune.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

its not all about peak number too remember, the area under your torque curve yields your horsepower. The Long tubes help in the mid range torque where peak number would not necessarily show up.

HP = TQ * (RPM/5252)
(using ft*lb as torque units and 1hp=550ft*lbf/s)
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Sorry, I don't see enough of a power difference to make them really worth it unless you've already done heads, cams, gears, axles, clutch/TC..... For the price I would rather focus other places first if I were you. I made 260rw NA with a stock long block, 436 @ 10lbs with a stock long block, and 488 with cams without ever taking off the stock manifolds.....

If you're squeezing hp then sure but I think there's more beneficial mods to do FIRST.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Sorry, I don't see enough of a power difference to make them really worth it unless you've already done heads, cams, gears, axles, clutch/TC..... For the price I would rather focus other places first if I were you. I made 260rw NA with a stock long block, 436 @ 10lbs with a stock long block, and 488 with cams without ever taking off the stock manifolds.....

If you're squeezing hp then sure but I think there's more beneficial mods to do FIRST.
as usual, +1 to you sir.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by sxynerd

on a 2v, what mods are better? besides cams and forced induction?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
on a 2v, what mods are better? besides cams and forced induction?
but that is just it...when headers cost $300 minimum with self install, you might as well save it and you are almost to cams. Or just save longer and go FI. I was going to get the full on mod bug, but I look at it this way, why dump hundreds into the car for little mods I will never get back when I can save it all and go FI...which can be removed at the time of sale and sold for almost what you paid for it (if you bought it used of course). That's just my .02 though.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by tws1098
but that is just it...when headers cost $300 minimum with self install, you might as well save it and you are almost to cams. Or just save longer and go FI. I was going to get the full on mod bug, but I look at it this way, why dump hundreds into the car with little mods I will never get back when I can save it all and go FI...which can be removed at the time of sale and sold for almost what you paid for it (if you bought it used of course). That's just my .02 though.
cams are about the same price as LTs...but a lot of people cant install cams themselves, so then you pay a lot of labor, need a tune, etc...it costs a good chunk more for cams than LTs... and you cant compare the price of FI to the price of LTs... we dont know anything about his financial situation, and saving up for FI may not be in the cards

if i had a stock 2v stang, the only mods i would do are gears/midpipe/weld in mufflers/tune (maybe just speedcal and mils)

anything else imo is a waste of money on these cars... i said for him to get the LTs only because he showed no desire to severly mod his car...he was asking about exhaust only...and yea, LTs sound good

if you just want a mild modded stang i would go for it

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 02-25-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers Worth It?