4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Has anyone tried MAXIMIZEING gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Default Has anyone tried MAXIMIZEING gas mileage?

*this is NOT a post your MPG thread

I'm talking about adding bolt on mods that presume to give gas mileage...and nothing else.
Such as:

-Steeda UDP
-CAI
-TB/Plenum
-Tune(efficiency, not octane)
-Meziere Electric Water Pump
-Full Exhaust
-Stock gears
-Granatelli coil packs
-Iridium +4 plugs

I'm curious to know what kind of gas mileage is possible with these mods. Although these mods alone could cost in surplus of $2000 I wouldn't doubt to see 28-32MPG highway with these babies with the overdrive on.

What do you think?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

sure why not... people with blowers get 26+ mpg highway... and some stock cars get less.. you figure it out cuz i cant haha
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Thumper2Kewl

well its not every day a mustang owner is looking to save fuel lol
my first answer, either park it or trade it for a ricer hehe.

higher gears will help some but i wouldnt go higher than 3.27 or 3.31

the electric water pump isnt gonna help because itll just put the drain in the alternator instead of the pump and the udp set you mentioned will make up for the mechanical loss anyway

same with the coil packs if they make more power then they draw more power which again works the alternator more

trying to make the car lighter will help the economy also

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
sure why not... people with blowers get 26+ mpg highway... and some stock cars get less.. you figure it out cuz i cant haha
its just physics ofcourse you have to add more fuel with more air but not much fuel plus the power increase moves the car along easier without having to put your foot into it as much

Last edited by Thumper2Kewl; 02-24-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Once a guy gets the mod bug, gas mileage should be the last damn thing on his mind. If it is, he should have gotten a honda.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
-Granatelli coil packs
I wouldn't put a Granatelli product on my lawn mower, I sure you aren't planning on it.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
I wouldn't put a Granatelli product on my lawn mower, I sure you aren't planning on it.
I put them on mine, look at how it just spits that grass out!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Thumper2Kewl
well its not every day a mustang owner is looking to save fuel lol
my first answer, either park it or trade it for a ricer hehe.

higher gears will help some but i wouldnt go higher than 3.27 or 3.31

the electric water pump isnt gonna help because itll just put the drain in the alternator instead of the pump and the udp set you mentioned will make up for the mechanical loss anyway

same with the coil packs if they make more power then they draw more power which again works the alternator more

trying to make the car lighter will help the economy also

its just physics ofcourse you have to add more fuel with more air but not much fuel plus the power increase moves the car along easier without having to put your foot into it as much
lol I don't care about gas mileage, I have 4.10 gears
I'm just curious to see what someone could pull out of a 4.6 mod motor.

And I bet the electric water pump would help, the drag on the drive belt by the water pump is a hefty one. With an electric water pump, it's just using a bit of electricity(which won't make the alternator work harder, because thats a constant.) UDP's as well, cutting 25% drag on everything would let the engine work easier at low RPMs.

As for the plugs and coil packs, a cleaner spark will burn fuel more efficiently and with less pollution.

Good point. Weight shavings would help.

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
Isn't there a video on youtube of a Granatelli coil packs adding like 15-20hp to a stock GT? I've never used/heard much of Granatelli so I don't know
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Best I've recorded was 32mpg on the highway, and 21mpg.

It's all about gear ratio's honestly. If you want better gas, just drop down your rear gears to a taller set up, and you will see a vast improvement.

I mean, so yeah, I have a ton of power on tap, but on the highway I can be cruising at 80mph and not be above 2k RPM, in fact I'll be well below it.

In the city, it's all about your right foot.

No mod, except for a clean fuel filter, or a clean air filter, (unless you got rid of power steering, which would help), is going to generally net you better fuel efficiency.

So I guess if you really want good mileage, get a good 6spd
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
tanbuddy
1st Gear Member

I got 30 with my car once, doing 70 on the highway and 55 on the backroads. It was all stock. I bet lowering the car, and putting skinnier tires on it at a higher pressure would help too.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

The best gas mileage i ever got with a mod was my s/c. But i really couldn't give 2sh!ts if i got 15mpg cuz i like my car and i'm glad people buy prius's, fits ect, more gas for me. You start modding, you start finding the skinny pedal alittle ichy.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried MAXIMIZEING gas mileage?