4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:41 AM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Default Vortech Rebuild

I am looking at purchasing a Vortech SQ and was wondering how much it will cost for a complete rebuild on it if I send it back to Vortech? Anyone ever have to do this?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

$1000 upgrade to the T-trim while you're at it.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 AM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

IIRC $600-800 but I was researching vortech a long time ago before I got my KB.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

i think you can do it yourself for 100 bucks.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1fast 99gt
i think you can do it yourself for 100 bucks.
from where?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:50 PM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

i herd the parts are only 100 bucks to buy from the store.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

I am all for taking things apart and "trying" to fix them... Not sure I would want to mess this one up. Also, how do you know what needs to be rebuilt, or is it just only a few things that can be repaired? Basically, what it comes down to is when I find a good deal on a head unit I am going to buy it. I just want to factor in if I buy it off ebay or something and its busted or worn out how much sending it to Vortech will set me back or is it just worth it to buy it new and call it a day.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:41 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1fast 99gt
i herd the parts are only 100 bucks to buy from the store.

you cant rebuild it yourself. You have to assemble it at like 300something degrees or something iirc, and you need a full press and everything else, not to mention the fact that Vortech WILL NOT sell you the rebuild kit, nor can you buy the berrings or the other model specific parts anywhere else.

Anyway, to the OP, just having them replace berrings, etc. is $370. A full Rebuild if something is wrong is ~$700, and to upgrade the impellar and the scroll to T-trim spec is $1000.

If I remember correctly, you can also upgrade from the T-trim to a Ysi trim for like 2k. I'm not sure, I believe Jivepepper was telling me that this was an option.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
$1000 upgrade to the T-trim while you're at it.
I got a sweeter deal but Frank was trying win my business. Plus Frank knows I've been posting on some of the other forums for almost 8 years.

There's a company that makes billet impellers for the s-trim that is supposed increase their output to almost T-trim specs and makes it capable of 60k rpm. The stock impeller is cast. I think Vortech is doing it now and calling it a Si trim lol.

Here's the company with the impeller upgrade actually looks promising. As soon as I told frank I was thinking about it and how much it was he offered my a deal I couldn't pass up lol. The company is called 928 motorsports and specializes in Porsche's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vorte...1%7C240%3A1318

a pic of the billet impeller from 928

There's also a guy who modifies the stock impeller and claims great results but I don't know. He removes extra material from the center to increase flow and rebalances it. Plus it's only 175 if you send in your stock impeller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vorte...1%7C240%3A1318

Pic of modified stock impeller

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
you cant rebuild it yourself. You have to assemble it at like 300something degrees or something iirc, and you need a full press and everything else, not to mention the fact that Vortech WILL NOT sell you the rebuild kit, nor can you buy the berrings or the other model specific parts anywhere else.

Anyway, to the OP, just having them replace berrings, etc. is $370. A full Rebuild if something is wrong is ~$700, and to upgrade the impellar and the scroll to T-trim spec is $1000.

If I remember correctly, you can also upgrade from the T-trim to a Ysi trim for like 2k. I'm not sure, I believe Jivepepper was telling me that this was an option.
This company sells the bearings seals and trust washers. According to a thread I participated on with a guy who rebuilt his over at modular depot, they are pretty common parts actually

This kit is 260 but I hear if you source your own it's a good bit less.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VORTE...Q5fAccessories.

Here's a so called racing rebuild for 450
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...Q5fAccessories

From Vortech:

A total rebuild of a S-trim and the T-trim volute and impeller usually cost a little almost 1100. If you just opt for the T-trim volute and impeller it's around 650. But like I said I didn't paid no where near that.

I convinced Frank that I was a advocate for their product and he agreed, and I got a super great deal or I wouldn't have did it. But if you check many of the popular forums I'm always singing Vortech's praises. It finally paid off a little lol. I got a hell of a deal on my MMR mod 900 shortblock the same way from MMR lol.

You can trade a T-trim in and get a allowance towards a YSI-trim but not upgrade to it. It will fit the same bracket though.

Last edited by jivepepper; 04-01-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

I would vote for you rebuilding it.

Check out http://superchargerrebuilds.com/

Give them a call and they are really helpful.

I just had to purchase the inner and outer seals for my Procharger and they I called to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. This winter I am going to purchase the full rebuild kit (bearings,seals etc). They are rather expensive but most of their parts are designed for 100k rpms if i recall correctly

Quick Reply: Vortech Rebuild