4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Starter mods for collector car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Fobra
Banned

collector and mods are counter-intuitive... that said it will never be worth anything (market is too saturated and their are way too many special models), so dont fool yourself, just mod it and enjoy it.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
mgraveman

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Gears + tune! and for the exhaust, +1 for looking it up on you tube to hear and decide on what you want.... by the way, why not drive the **** out of it? you are going to have to wait like 40 years for the thing to possably be worth somthing. But by then, gas cars will prob be illegal.... just my .02

How much can a tune do for torque?

If cars are illegal it just means that mine will be worth more! Real answer is that we have three kids and I need my truck - so no time to really drive it. Have to be driving somewhere fun (no work) and no kids needed. The weather has to be nice too for it to even think about making it out of my garage.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Fobra
Banned

not a whole lot, a 4v and really good tune/exhaust you can probably pick up 25-35 whp.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by mgraveman
I have a 1996 mustang GT with very low miles. I'd like to improve my exhaust note and low end torque. I'm really happy with the HP level and high end performance, so am thinking about doing a different H pipe and 4.30 gears.

Fuel efficiency is not a concern. I want the mods to be 100% reversible and not to risk damage to the car. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I have the SVT exhaust - are there any recommendations for an H pipe to work with this exhaust?
I'll take you for a ride in my car then you will thinnk your car is a gokart when you get back in it.

No point in trying to keep the value on a 96 gt vert since their not worth much to begin with. Just go crazy and mod the hell out of it.

Starting with gears, exhaust and tune is a good start then next you should do a PI swap.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

well the gears are really going to make a noticable difference. the tuen will do quite a bit. i dont know what octane options you are given where you live but here in LA 93 is everywhere. shortly after i did my gear swap i bought a sct programmer and reflashed the comp to take advantage of the 93 oct option. noticed quite a bit of improvment. really woke the car up being tuned and running 93. the good thing about the tuner is that you are able to tune the comp to what you have done to the car. say you put a O/R x or h pipe(no cats) on the car, you will be able to take advantage of that as you are now able to tell the cars comp that hey! you now have no cats. or say a larger throttle body. you can tune to that to maximize the hp/tq you are able to achive from the TB by by telling the comp that it is now sucking more air than it was before...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

do 4.30's. i love my 4.10's

I like the X pipe and mac catback myself. an x pipe and set of flowmaster super 44 mufflers sounds pretty good too.

and i agree, just mod the car. it wont ever be worth much ( no offense)
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I don't think I have ever seen someone post they where happy with the power of a 96GT. FYI 96/98 Mustangs are considered to be VERY slow in the Mustang world.
You ever go to a car show and see a very low mileage Pinto or Gremlin or any other high volume car and wonder what type of person would by this car and not drive it. Your that guy
And when you day "SVT exhaust" do you mean the SVO side exit exhaust?

Last edited by BraMas; 04-02-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

you guys might want to let him know WHY his car won't be a collector.

OP, there are more than 180,00 1996 mustang's rolling around, a good percentage are GT's.

If you want a rare car, trade yours in for either a 93' Cobra R or a 1995 Cobra R
Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 AM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
you guys might want to let him know WHY his car won't be a collector.

OP, there are more than 180,00 1996 mustang's rolling around, a good percentage are GT's.

If you want a rare car, trade yours in for either a 93' Cobra R or a 1995 Cobra R
+1 and dont forget 96 mystic cobras they are pretty rare ive only seen2 and i own one of them lol
Old 04-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Collectors car not but a decent car to take a joy ride in yes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to keep the car mint condition / stockish . If you want the exhaust to sound great you just have to go by preference really , Check out youtube clips and mustangexhaust.com. A o/r H pipe will give you a lil bit more torque plus a great classy muscle car tone IMO. Also add some LTs headers if you want a little of performance and great sound , Gears will def. wake the car up . CAI, Pulleys and a few other bolt ons will give you small hp/tq gains but they all add up and make the car look little bit more unique. Alot of people who get mustangs are mod addicts and almost immediately want to push out 500 horses , Its good to see there are some people still out there that appreciate cars for just being a car.

Quick Reply: Starter mods for collector car?