4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Pi swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 AM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

Default Pi swap?

Alright after talking to my dad for an hour or two We decided to go for the pi swap and after I have asked you guys seems like the most bang for my buck now to truly get the job done what would I need other than the Pi heads,intake,cams Like is there some kind of kit that comes with the bolts and gaskets needed or any place where I can get the info on all the stuff I need and thanks for your help guys
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

I cant find the actual guide thats on i think stangnet.com but here is a copy and paste somebody did
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...ap-info-3.html

you are going to need gaskets for whatever doesnt come off right most can be reused but my timing cover gasket broke
there is a head changing kit from summit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku
you will also need a water pump nipple, heater tube, PI intake manifold gaskets
lots of carb cleaner
Headers?? it makes em hella lot easier to replace them now and... o yeah a tap for the coolant sensor, 3/8-18 NPSF about 8 bucks
Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 AM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

So I need just the head gasket kit and I should be fine and where should I put the coolant system tap? and all the other stuff listed how long would it take to do this project? Actually I'm reading down do I need all these parts wich is better the windsor or the romeo? And how much would all these parts cost?

Last edited by RyanK; 03-27-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

for the tap there is a flat circular area that is easily noticable in the PI manifold

took me 2 weekends to do had problems with having 2 stripped valve cover bolts had to break em off

Ohh and one more thing a flexible dipstick from summit will save u many headaches if u plan on aftermarket headers which I suggest
Old 03-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

A little off topic and I know it would raise the price a bit but I would start off with ported heads from the start. With stock cams you'll be in the 280-300 range.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

if this helps i plan on taking pictures during my pi swap in less then a week, i'll post them up. If your short on cash like me, then you can always polish off the exhaust ports to a mirror finish, helps pick up a extra horse or two . I also gasket matched the intake ports.

anyways here is a picture of the coolant cross over tapped.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

you will also need a water pump nipple, heater tube, PI intake manifold gaskets
Is this all I would need other than the head,cam,intake at wich is better windsor or romeo? From the looks of it I will probably go windsor, Where did you buy most of your parts?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

get romeo heads. If you get windsor heads then you need valve covers and youll need bigger bolts in the timing cover because the windsor heads are drilled and tapped bigger. And if you're npi intake already had the upgraded aluminum crossover then you can just swap it to the new pi intake, if not drill and tap the pi one like said earlier.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Jordan123
2nd Gear Member

I got a set of windsor heads and vavlecovers. $75 plus shipping PM me for info
Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
get romeo heads. If you get windsor heads then you need valve covers and youll need bigger bolts in the timing cover because the windsor heads are drilled and tapped bigger. And if you're npi intake already had the upgraded aluminum crossover then you can just swap it to the new pi intake, if not drill and tap the pi one like said earlier.
My NPI intake wasnt a ford OEM part so I couldnt swap the crossovers the bolt holes didnt line up.
But just check to see if it does have a big ford oval stamped on it, swap it, if not tap the new PI one

Quick Reply: Pi swap?