4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hi all

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
heres a better question... why did our friends S197 driving mod decide to move a thread about a 98gt (regardless of engine size mistyping) into the 5.0 section

And to the OP. you need to jump power to the fuel pump connector off the inertia switch in the trunk. I had a similar issue with a friends 99 gt, it ended up being the feul pump control module (not a relay) in the trunk
good question addermk2, so we'll bounce it back there since the car in question has a 4.6 not 5.0 in it...4.8 is a mistype
Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM
N2Gaming

Thank you every one. I was just a little buzzed when I wrote up the OP and was a little dumb as well becuase you guys are right... I posted as a 4.8L when it is in fact a 4.6L 2x4 bang'r . Sorry for the miss info...

Aside from the fact that I never had any problems w/starting the car while using a jumper box in the past I also used a deep cycle Marine battery w/jumper cables from my bass boat. So I don't think this is a battery/power related issue...

I will have to find a way to test the pump w/a power supply connected to the circuit as suggested. Do I have to remove the gas tank if the pump proves to be malfunctioning or is there a access hole in the trunk?

Thank you again for all your help,

N2G

Last edited by N2Gaming; 03-29-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

gonna have to drop the tank
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
gonna have to drop the tank
wrong as usual...

OP, find the fuel pump inertia switch in the trunk and unplug it. run a 12v test lead from your battery straight back there and effectively bypass all of the other circuitry.

when diagnosing a fuel supply problem, its best to work from the pump forward.

so, start by jumping the pump and seeing if it turns on.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM
N2Gaming

OP, find the fuel pump inertia switch in the trunk and unplug it. run a 12v test lead from your battery straight back there and effectively bypass all of the other circuitry.

Thanks AdderMk2

does the polarity matter? Well I guess I better take a look at it before I get ahead of my self and ask questions about this. I will go look at it now and get a color code for the wires and see if I can figure + & - before testing pump.

N2G

Last edited by N2Gaming; 03-29-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

heres a better question... why did our friends S197 driving mod decide to move a thread about a 98gt (regardless of engine size mistyping) into the 5.0 section

And to the OP. you need to jump power to the fuel pump connector off the inertia switch in the trunk. I had a similar issue with a friends 99 gt, it ended up being the feul pump control module (not a relay) in the trunk
Originally Posted by mjr46
good question addermk2, so we'll bounce it back there since the car in question has a 4.6 not 5.0 in it...4.8 is a mistype
Hey guys when I originally moved it I meant to put it in the 4.6L section and obviously that was not where it ended when I did the move.....my bad.....I have many excuses like it was late and I may have been drunk after a night of whirlyball

I did not care what the motor was and thought I moved it to the right section based off the yr of the car.....apparently I have not and its been pointed out......carry on
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM
N2Gaming

Ok guys so far this is what I have done I included pictures just to make sure I am in the right place for testing... I tested the plug to the inertia switch w/a buzzing ohm metor with the key on and off. W/the key off no buzz or continuity. When I turn the key on I get a buzz or continuity... I did not test the voltage yet because I don't know if it is safe. plus I don't know what wire to plug the volt meter into while grounding the volt meter to the chassis...

Thank you,

N2G
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
N2Gaming

Well it's the third day and I finally found a diagram that gives me more specific details about all the inertia switch/fuel pump wiring and can say that I feel confident in testing the circuit now. I have included a picture of the wiring diagram if others care to link to it in the future. Instead of just say do this w/no verifyable back ups or wire coloring display for a reference when stating to apply the voltage to the wiring to the inertia switch...

Thanks for all you help

N2G

Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

wrong as usual...

how am I wrong I was talking about if the pump is bad then he will have to drop the tank read what he writes 1st b4 you come to an insulting decision