4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

kenne bell Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:24 PM
o4gt-thunder

Originally Posted by Roush2002
good luck finding a used kb to fit your car. I have a kb 2.1 and will do my best to answer any questions you have. I was told as long as you stay at 400 or below rwhp you will be fine on stock internals. Every tuner has a differnent opinion on the max rwhp. I say play it safe. If you run above 7psi you will have to intercool it so you will be looking at an additional 1100.00 just for the cooler setup. If it were my decision I think I would look into a centri setup ie. vortech, paxton, procharger etc. The boost is there a bit quicker than the centri's but from what I have been told you can change that with pulleys but I dont know for sure. maybe someone with a centri setup will chime in for you. But if you have more questions feel free to ask. It is a big purchase so make sure its what you want.

ya your right i shoulld just spend the money for the right thing, although i dont know much about the other superchargers like paxton novi vortech turbo ike superchargers but know a friend that has a vortech and says its great,

basically, i am not trying to get the most powerfull supercharger i would rather get mild output and eventually build the bottom end and get cams, so if i could get a vortech or a charger like that at a better price that will give me all i need wich isnt an insane amount but enuff that would be great then i dont have to go used how are the novi's? anyone know
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 PM
o4gt-thunder

Fausty.

thats a good idea get the headunit and then just get the parts seperate, bc at the moment i am not making much money but i love my car and if i can just save a lil every week and buy the parts i can afford instead of buying new right away i wont be broke as hell! but i do want sumthing that will give me power in the future when i get my sisters car for driving to work so i can then put sum power in my horse bc i love to go fast, the vortech kind are they hard to put in by urself or with a buddy?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 AM
DVS_Z28
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I say go with a procharger!
+1, luved my vortech but always envyed the procharger.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

nahhh... stick with your KB plans, i just got mine last month, still working on the magic pulley/tune combo to tickle my pickle... but i have NO REGRETS
Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by o4gt-thunder
ya your right i shoulld just spend the money for the right thing, although i dont know much about the other superchargers like paxton novi vortech turbo ike superchargers but know a friend that has a vortech and says its great,

basically, i am not trying to get the most powerfull supercharger i would rather get mild output and eventually build the bottom end and get cams, so if i could get a vortech or a charger like that at a better price that will give me all i need wich isnt an insane amount but enuff that would be great then i dont have to go used how are the novi's? anyone know
if you just want a lil boost then go with the KB 2.1 non-intercooled for now. I personally would not do one of those ebay-coolers on my KB. You spend all that money on it and you go and skimp on the cooler....you might regret it. As for tuning, I would highly recommend it. This can save you in the long run. They will set timing, A/F etc and hopefully prevent detonation which will send your car to its grave quickly.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nolimits31
i say try to stay away from used kits. i got shafted last winter in 2008 for 2500 on ebay. not saying all guys are scams but just be careful. used units could have been beat on and the rotors are worn inside etc who knows with used equipment. i say if you kenne bell go new and spend the extra 1k for the intercooler seup you will be better off and your motor will appreciate it as well. the 6 psi will not net you 365+ rwhp, i would say more around 340. if money is an issue look into the 1500 s/c kit sticky on the forums well worth doing that and getting the 365+hp you are looking for.
I agree that only 6psi on a stock 2V GT wont hit 365+. Read my post though I was talking AFTER a locked up stall converter(i'm an auto). I also have exhaust and an SCT. Havent decided whether I will use KB's chip or try to get the tuner to use my SCT. Any suggestions on that?

As for the advice NOT to go with the e-bay intercooler....Am I better off with NO intercooler than an e-bay intercooler? I know three different guys that are running 2V KB's with e-bay intercoolers and making a little over 500 RWHP. So far no problems.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

get the tuner to use your SCT, the KB chip cost will add up every time you wanna tweak something.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I agree that only 6psi on a stock 2V GT wont hit 365+. Read my post though I was talking AFTER a locked up stall converter(i'm an auto). I also have exhaust and an SCT. Havent decided whether I will use KB's chip or try to get the tuner to use my SCT. Any suggestions on that?
i used sct chip for about 5 months before getting my car custom tuned. their chip is pretty good to get you started and used to the power. i would say i was around 360-370rwhp with their chip so that is not to bad then got it custom tuned and gained 40+hp which is pretty good.