4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I think it's about time for a... NEW CATBACK.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default I think it's about time for a... NEW CATBACK.

Everyone here knows how A.D.D. I am with exhaust and it seems to be the only thing I even care about on this car. Well, YOU ALL ARE PRETTY MUCH DAMN RIGHT!

So I've been casually looking around for the last 2 years (holy **** I've had my Magnapacks for 2 years already), but nothing ever really made me feel sold on it. I went from MAC to Flowmaster to Spintech to MAC to Flowmaster to Stainless Works... all over the place, trying to make up my mind. Then, just yesterday, I heard a clip of one of the newer SSS systems matched up with a catted x-pipe, and I think I was instantly in love.

Just found out that the Mach in this video is the Mach of the guy who essentially helped to design this system. He said that this was one of their newer systems. It's the same muffler design, only smaller in diameter. It's also matched with a catted x-pipe. Sounds absolutely sick and will buy it once I get the cash. FINALLY I can get rid of my Packs. It sounds very close to the Stingers. At idle, it sounds more like a chambered exhaust, but when it takes off it sounds like the straight-thru design. I think it'd sound MUCH better than my Magnapacks.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnONaalVT1s

I then asked some questions about what the difference was between this "Terminator" style and the original catback.

Originally Posted by John @ SSS-exhaust
We took the original design (9.5 inches long by 4.5 inches in diameter) and reduced it by 1 full inch in diameter. It is very aggressive and very cool. The big difference is that the original design is quite when you want it to be and loud when you want. The Terminator muffler is loud ALL the time..
It's also similar to the way SLP works. You can interchange the mufflers, but leave the catback alone.

Originally Posted by John @ SSS-exhaust
The other good thing, is that if you decide you don't like these mufflers (because they are too loud), you can buy the original design and they drop in place.

Sounds like a killer setup for under $400 to my door.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

that does sound pretty good, hard to make a 4v sound bad

IMO this is the best sounding clip of a mach1 exhaust ive ever heard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29BAg...eature=channel
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

^That does sound pretty good. I really like how it sounds as he's slowly accelerating, but it sounds a little too sloppy to me when he presses on the gas a little harder.

Sounds vicious though and there's a good chance I'd be afraid of it if it were to pull up next to me
Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have the SSS catback with long tubes and catted h, and i'm extremely happy with the sound. It's actually very loud even with a catted mid pipe.

I can honestly say i wouldn't trade this catback for any other.

If you go this route i think you will be quite surprised and happy.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
DVS_Z28
2nd Gear Member

i like em all
Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I have the SSS catback with long tubes and catted h, and i'm extremely happy with the sound. It's actually very loud even with a catted mid pipe.

I can honestly say i wouldn't trade this catback for any other.

If you go this route i think you will be quite surprised and happy.
I've always been interested in it since the first time I heard it. I dislike my Magnapacks because they just fart too damn much and it's kind of embarrassing. I like how the SSS system has the burbly idle to it similar to the chambered systems and the Stingers, but then has that straight-thru sound up top, which is why I was considering Spintech once upon a time. My Magnapacks have a very bubbly and bassy idle, and I just don't like it that much. Since I have an OR x-pipe, it sound even more messy/sloppy when I'm decelerating and it's not an attractive sound at all.

I'm also thinking of going with a different OR x-pipe because I think that since my VRS OR x-pipe is 2 pieces it's causing my exhaust to get this "swooshing" type sound.

Egh.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

My favorite goes to the SLP PowerFlows, Its mellow for a straight through muffler and still sounds mean up top too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXj3YeKZisE
Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

When i had my long tube installed i originally went with the off road h, and it sounded horribe... (VERY LOUD & RASPY) so i threw on some high flow cats, and it sounded perfect. (still loud, but very deep & no popping).
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Yeah from the video, it sounds perfect with a catted x-pipe. I don't mind throwing my Magnaflow x-pipe back on. It'll be nice not having to swap them out for inspections lol.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

I'd say dump the x pipe, and go with an o/r h. I was in denial for about a year. And tried different flows and MAC with an o/r x, and it sounded good, but just wasn't my sound. Changed to an o/r h, and I'll never change back. Never.

Quick Reply: I think it's about time for a... NEW CATBACK.