4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Painting the Mustang...56k No Way

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM
2Slo4u
1st Gear Member

Default Painting the Mustang...56k No Way

Well as some of you know, I wrecked my car into creek a few weeks back. It did a little damage to the paint on the rear bumper, mainly chipping off from a horrible prior paint job, but other than a small dent on the right quarter panel it was fine. So today I decided to bite the bullet and paint the car satin black. Spent most of the day sanding and doing body work, mostly door dings, but all in all it was a productive day. I got all the major work done and now just need to mask it off, prep it, and spray the paint, which is getting done tomorrow. Enough talk, time for some pics of the progress.

PS: all the little spots of green tape are dents.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 AM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

hell yeh man, just take your time and im sure it will look awsome! cant wait to see the final product.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I had this idea a while back but never bit the bullet. Can't wait to see pics.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You really ought to take the side scoops off and sail panels and door moldings off. other wise you can't tape up the rubber on the sail panel and door moldings very well. they get paint on them and it flakes off and looks bad.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Good luck and take your time...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You're just prepping the car outside, right?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 AM
2Slo4u
1st Gear Member

Well kinda, we have a carport we turned into a poor-mans-spraybooth. We have two box fans at one end and a couple filters at the other to make kinda of a cross flow style setup. I'm not just going to spray it in the open like that, but I don't have access to a booth right now so that is the best I can do. We actually sprayed my buddies GSR swapped hatch in there on friday and it turned out great, just wet the floor down and there is hardly any dirt in the paint at all.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Make sure you clean your tires & wheels of any oily substances. Waxes and oil based cleansers/conditioners all have floating molecules that WILL spread onto the paint. Try using a few painters tarps to make an enclosure. I dont see anything great coming out of it, but good luck.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM
doughboy4.6
3rd Gear Member

you are joking right ? If you want your car to come out nice you'll have to pull the bumpers, scoops, hood and side pull the rockers the door handles the lock out off drivers door pull sail panels moldings antenna is only 3 screws so pull that. Is that small compressor in the back ground what you will be using for the spray gun? If so, it is way to small for that big of a job. Also, I think what sxynerd is trying to tell you is wash the car real good so the is no armor all (silicon) on the car that will cause fish eyes. Also use a good pre cleaner and wipe it dry after you apply. Make sure you don't just prime the bad spots sand them and paint over them in she same day the primer will shrink and you will see a$$holes in the paint. Use a good sealer 1 good wet coat will be fine 3 coats of paint and at least 3 of clear if I was painting outside I would use 4 so I could wet sand 2 coats of clear off. If you don't do all of the stuff listed hear which is not half the stuff you need to do to make a good paint job you should have to took you car to macco for 199$ presidential special

Last edited by doughboy4.6; 04-12-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

looks great man! i cant wait to get a new spoiler so i can try to prep and paint without the fear of failure.

Quick Reply: Painting the Mustang...56k No Way