4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Which setup to switch to...

Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Default Which setup to switch to...

Yes this is the millionth exhaust setup question and yes I've used the search feature and read a bunch of stuff before posting. So with that said, I currently have a american thunder catback and a BBK catted X-Pipe (This setup came w/the car) while I do like the sound, it's a little too quite for my taste and it doesn't have the "muscle car" sound that I want. I'm DEFIENTALY keeping the flows (i really enjoy the chambered muffler sound) but most likely want to switch out the X-Pipe.

-I'm looking for the muscle car sound
-I'm not very concerned with HP gains (like X-Pipe gains over H-Pipe gains).
-The midpipe HAS TO BE CATTED, can't/don't want to do an off road pipe

I was thinking about a catted pro-chamber,mac h-pipe, or anything else you guys recommend.

-Not a very big fan of borla, bassani, slp, or magna flow Catback sound (not sure about h/x-pipe sound)

I would like a sound similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySft1SEJtiI
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

catted x is louder than catted h....only way youre getting it louder if you wanna keep the cats is by switching to a straight through muffler like an slp lm1
Old 05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
catted x is louder than catted h....only way youre getting it louder if you wanna keep the cats is by switching to a straight through muffler like an slp lm1
Hmm...well i guess i'm more concerned about the
1. muscle car sound
2. the loudness aspect 2nd.

1. Do all the H/X-Pipes that are catted have high flow cats, if not that could probablly effect how loud the exhaust sounds
2. Flows aren't any quieter then say Mac Flow paths or any other true chambered muffler, are they?

Last edited by mstang2k6; 05-03-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

MAC catback(or just mufflers for that matter) or flowmaster single chamber mufflers will be louder than what you have now. So you may want to try welding those in first to see if that helps you out at all before you go buying a different midpipe. And you may also want to check out pypes violator mufflers. They are a mix sound of chambered muffler and straight through. And if you want the muscle car sound(or more of it), you are going to want an h pipe. And all aftermarket catted x/h pipes have high flow cats in them. so no need to look into that.

Last edited by teej281; 05-03-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
MAC catback(or just mufflers for that matter) or flowmaster single chamber mufflers will be louder than what you have now. So you may want to try welding those in first to see if that helps you out at all before you go buying a different midpipe. And you may also want to check out pypes violator mufflers. They are a mix sound of chambered muffler and straight through. And if you want the muscle car sound(or more of it), you are going to want an h pipe. And all aftermarket catted x/h pipes have high flow cats in them. so no need to look into that.
i don;t mind changing the mufflers instead (it would be cheaper this way) but would that really give me more of a muscle car sound? In regard to the violators, I went on utube and heard some clips, not really feeling them.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

the catback you have now is the only one that is going to give you the sound youre asking for... H will make it more muscular but quieter

bottom line is if you want it significantly louder and to still be muscular, you need an o/r midpipe
Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

How about a catted pro chamber, I heard that this was a mix of an h/x pipe and was louder then both.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

just go catless...swap in a stock midpipe once a year for inspection, or slip a mom and pop shop $20 to pass you
Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Unfortunatly i rather not go that route.
A) To expensive to constantly reinstall/re-weld the midpipe
B) In Chicago you have to go to a city/state run facilitiy to have your emissions, can't go to just go to a random location.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstang2k6
Unfortunatly i rather not go that route.
A) To expensive to constantly reinstall/re-weld the midpipe
B) In Chicago you have to go to a city/state run facilitiy to have your emissions, can't go to just go to a random location.

umm, you can do it yourself. It's not THAT hard to swap out the pipe, and yes, I did just do it myself, alone, with no help from anyone with basic hand tools.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which setup to switch to...