4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

5k$ Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Red face 5k$ Engine?

Assuming i want to build a motor to add boost later on, but still have considerable hp at the wheels n/a, what kind of budget do i need? My stock block has 75k miles on it, so i was considering using it, but now im not so sure. Is 5k$ enough to build up what i have and expect it to be reliable? Or am i wasting time with my stock block? Ideally i wanted to get a new shortblock and get TF's new heads/cushman cams deal to go with it. But i dont know if i can get in at 5k to do that, anyone care to enlighten my uneducated self? I really am trying to learn here lol
Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

It's pretty hard to build for both . If you want high HP #'s N/A you're going to need lot's of compression . And with a power adder , that's not going to work . Unless you use nitrous . Then higher compression ratio's are fine . $5k would almost due a forged shortblock , heads and cams . Remember one thing though . Do it right the first time . Or don't do it at all .
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever
It's pretty hard to build for both . If you want high HP #'s N/A you're going to need lot's of compression . And with a power adder , that's not going to work . Unless you use nitrous . Then higher compression ratio's are fine . $5k would almost due a forged shortblock , heads and cams . Remember one thing though . Do it right the first time . Or don't do it at all .
+1, I would look into a forged shortblock, with H/C/I. May want to check out MMR.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
+1, I would look into a forged shortblock, with H/C/I. May want to check out MMR.
This...

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

Check out their shortblock section, they have a nice forged shortblock for 2500$, Then you can spend the other 2500$ on the CMS TF head/intake/cam package
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever
+1 for boost you need low compression which wont yeild very high n/a gains especially on a 2v
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

on that subject how much power do you lose when you switch from say a bolt on stock 2v to a build mmr long block with low compression? just curious cuz it seems like cnc heads and a balanced and bluprinted block would still net better numbers than the factory set up? am i wrong in thinking that? cuz mainly everything is beter just minus the compression which goes from what? 9.5 down to 8?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i was always told high comp. for FI, and low comp. for a spray car....is that not how it works?

my 460 is going to have about 8:1, and im going to spray the **** out of it...200+ plate kit
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

thanks for all the input so far guys! keep it coming!

Ya, i was concerned about the compression, as there wouldnt really be a good compromise, i should either build for boost or just keep it n/a in which case i need that higher compression ratio like 10-11:1.

This may seem silly, but i am not a mechanic, though i am very good with my hands and mechanically inclined, do you think assembling a motor with the aide of forum members and some books would be a wise task for me or should i save more money and pay a speed shop to do it?

What else would i need to order with a new short block other that h/c/i.. like stud kits, gaskets, etc?? any of that stuff come with the products or that all separate purchasing? that will add up really quickly to another grand in parts i imagine..

Again, thanks for the tips so far and keep them coming!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

the little crap DEF adds up...hell i priced it out the other day for a 4.6 for hoss302 and it was like 900 bucks in misc **** like timing components, gaskets, seals, etc etc....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

personally if your gonna spend the money buy a long block. its like 3k for a short block plus 1500 for cnc heads, then you need to add gaskets timing chains and put the sob on. your probebly looking at like4700-4800 for short block and then buying the heads and crap, vs 5000 and having it all done by pros and sent to your house...i dont know about you, but im really good with my hands and id still pay the 300 bucks when im talking about 4k in parts alone(that 300ish is just to do heads and timing in labor not including the build of the short block, its a guess i could be completely wrong)...better safe than sorry the way i see it.

Quick Reply: 5k$ Engine?