4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Procharger and Typhoon Manifold or KB 2.1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Default Procharger and Typhoon Manifold or KB 2.1?

Alright, now there's a lot of planning here, and nothing is set in stone, but I really want the most raw setup possible on stock internals.. but willing to take suggestions on different routes.

1) I've been looking into Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifolds (which look awesome polished and supposedly are good for 20rwhp).. and coupled with a P-1SC HO S/C from procharger in a polished trim, I could A) have great performance with a nice number around 400rwhp, and B) have a great polished theme under the hood... leads to more mods like polished valve covers, polished steeda radiator cover.. you get the point. Also, couldn't I run a higher rear gear ratio like 4.10s because my torque peak would be later in the rpm band with a centrifugal s/c?

2) Now of course there is the famed 2.1L Kenne Bell S/C. Obviously great power and torque all around, and it comes with an intake manifold as well as all the other goodies (injectors etc.. same goes for procharger minus the intake manifold, hence typhoon). After looking at lots of choices, I'd probably run a 3.55 rear gear. Is KB overhyped as far as 2Vs go, or is it really just the best of the best?

Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

I guess this could go in Pipes, Boost, & Juice.. move it if you need to. sorry about that.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

my opinion is this, go procharger D1sc, typhoon (if your dead set on it) intake manifold, and 3:73s. forge the motor and up the boost. KBs are nice but ive always been a fan of centris
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

You wont regret a d1 at all.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:43 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

K/B....cause its like a sledgehammer to the ***** when you punch it.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thunderhorse
Alright, now there's a lot of planning here, and nothing is set in stone, but I really want the most raw setup possible on stock internals.. but willing to take suggestions on different routes.

1) I've been looking into Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifolds (which look awesome polished and supposedly are good for 20rwhp).. and coupled with a P-1SC HO S/C from procharger in a polished trim, I could A) have great performance with a nice number around 400rwhp, and B) have a great polished theme under the hood... leads to more mods like polished valve covers, polished steeda radiator cover.. you get the point. Also, couldn't I run a higher rear gear ratio like 4.10s because my torque peak would be later in the rpm band with a centrifugal s/c?

2) Now of course there is the famed 2.1L Kenne Bell S/C. Obviously great power and torque all around, and it comes with an intake manifold as well as all the other goodies (injectors etc.. same goes for procharger minus the intake manifold, hence typhoon). After looking at lots of choices, I'd probably run a 3.55 rear gear. Is KB overhyped as far as 2Vs go, or is it really just the best of the best?

Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
If you'd of seen my posts I've just about gotten on every ones nerves regarding this same argument more or less. The typhoon is pretty much the same as stock but it can take more abuse. Not really much in terms of gains from all the reading and asking I've done. The better intake manifold is the the trickflow hands down. It's a lot better overall and you get the power practically throughout the entire RPM bandwidth instead of from 4k-7k like the typhoon. Kennebell from what I've read and heard is a great supercharger overall. I'm not knocking it but your car is always boosting around town so your car isn't going to last as long theoretically because the stock internals are always being pushed. The thing I like about the procharger is even though it practically acts like a turbo in terms of when it makes the boost which is in the mid - high RPM band until then it acts like a stock car so your internals aren't constantly getting a beating. I'm going with a procharger as well so I can directly relate to you and I've spoken to a TON of mechanics and professionals regarding this. Remember, everything that saves your cars @$$ is in the tune. Get a awesome tuner and you should be ok. Dyno that sucker. your going to have too anyways if you want to reach 400rwhp which is the same exact number that I want to reach and I don't want forged internals ether. Too much $$$$$.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Edelbrock intake and the D1.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

It looks like procharger is winning here.. I checked lethalperformance, and they only offer the P-1 s/c or the P-1 Stage II. Is the D-1 that much better that I'll even notice a difference? I just plan on running 8psi, because with my other mods (headers, intake manifold etc) I'll be near the 400rwhp mark.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Go with the KB. It's not any harder on the internals like someone stated above because it has a bypass. KB are much cooler and the procharger brackets are garbage. If you ever get to where you want to build alot of power that thing is going to flex like a yoga instructor.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Kenne Bell FTW! it is a complete kit even right down to the tune. i just recently dyno tuned mine @10psi 16.5 degrees of timing and a/f around 11.3-11.5 which is very safe. and the whine under boost is awesome.

Quick Reply: Procharger and Typhoon Manifold or KB 2.1?