4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Couple of Mod ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
TheItalianOak
1st Gear Member

Default Couple of Mod ?'s

I only know a little bit about cars so that's why I am coming here to ask you guys. I heard MAC and Bassani are great exhausts for the Stangs but someone told me I would have to drop the tranny to put the mac on and I really don't wanna do that so Ill go with Bassani. Now after that IDK if I should lower my car or get new tires. What rear tire size would I have to get if I wanted it to stick out past the body (like pretty much ever Cobra)? I also want it to fit on my stock rims.

Then after that I guess would be intake, HIDs, and maybe a chip.

I have found a lot of stuff on www.americanmuscle.com but it seems pretty expensive
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Woever you talked to about car that said you need to drop the tranny for exhaust: Dont ever talk to them again, they are fuggin retarded. And you dont want to make your tires stick out past the body. This is a Mustang no a vato mobile. If anything make the tires even with the fenders via wheel spacers.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

1st) who ever told you you would have to drop the tranny to install a catback is a dumb@ss.

2) as far as tire sizes go. i think the max you are going to be able to run are 265's(will not stick out past fender) in the rear on stock rims. Do your self a favor and buy aftermarket rims. then run a 315 rear.

3) oh. and about the prices being expensive ect..... get used to it..

EDIT: D@mn it!! you beat me....
Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I did the whole wheel spacer thing a while back, and it really just looked retarted. It doesn't matter what tire you throw on your stock rims, it just won't look right IMO. Run 315's on a wider rim...you'll be glad you did.

I would lower the car too. A 1 1/2 in. drop would look good, and you won't need any caster/camber plates to do it (at least i didn't).

As far as catbacks go MAC and Bassani are great, but there are several others that are awesome too. Just do some homework first.

Drop the tranny for a catback? lol. That's beyond stupid. Please do not take any car advice from this guy...seriously!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:05 AM
FrestylMotoX01
1st Gear Member

Yea you shouldn't have to drop your tranny for a catback install, that is probably one of the easiest installs you can do on the car.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FrestylMotoX01
Yea you shouldn't have to drop your tranny for a catback install, that is probably one of the easiest installs you can do on the car.
I think what the guy was talking about when he was referring to dropping the tranny is a header install not a catback... But the guy is still stupid for even suggesting it.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I think what the guy was talking about when he was referring to dropping the tranny is a header install not a catback... But the guy is still stupid for even suggesting it.
+1 i think he was talking about the headers. and no you dont have to drop the tranny for those headers. Stick with LTs.

and INTAKES ARE A WASTE OF MONEY, put that towards gears or rims/tires. Ive run nitto 315s on my last three cars and been through about 6 sets and i luv em (on the street). for the money you get decent traction and decent longevity.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

FYI, just remember, intakes and cold air intake are two very different things. and CAI are great for looks, but really don't do that much in the area of performance.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
FYI, just remember, intakes and cold air intake are two very different things. and CAI are great for looks, but really don't do that much in the area of performance.
Just about anything to do with the intake on these cars is a waste of money, unless we're talking superchargers....
Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by black35th
Just about anything to do with the intake on these cars is a waste of money, unless we're talking superchargers....
Then they're too much money, what a predicament.

Quick Reply: Couple of Mod ?'s