4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

In regards to oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 AM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

6 qts. and the blowers in the 03-04 cobras have their own separate oil.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

[quote=Stevecooper;6230805]
Originally Posted by cliffyk

Not 100% ture, MAF counts is a value available in most (perhaps all) Ford computers that I have seen. Its even a log able value. That being said its just a value based on voltage so either will work for tuning purposes.
I suspect we may be arguing semantics here, and that you are equating the voltage output of Ford MAFs with the term "counts"--which I have only heard applied to the GM MAF's output frequency...

GM MAFS work differently (than nearly everyone else's I believe) and do output a "count", actually a waveform with of frequency between 0Hz to 12kHz, that represents air flow mass. I have heard this frequency often referred to as the "MAF count", as in frequency count, in GM tuning circles.

However, Ford MAFs, unlike GM's, do not produce a waveform output, but rather a DC voltage output of 0.0V to 5.0V, representing the air flow's mass.

The available EECV PIDs return either kg/h, g/s (derived from the transfer function; PIDs 0110 and 1671), or Volts (PIDs 1177 and 1633) as input from the MAF. The voltage value is useful as it will let you know if the MAF is pegging...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=cliffyk;6231422]
Originally Posted by Stevecooper

I suspect we may be arguing semantics here, and that you are equating the voltage output of Ford MAFs with the term "counts"--which I have only heard applied to the GM MAF's output frequency...

GM MAFS work differently (than nearly everyone else's I believe) and do output a "count", actually a waveform with of frequency between 0Hz to 12kHz, that represents air flow mass. I have heard this frequency often referred to as the "MAF count", as in frequency count, in GM tuning circles.

However, Ford MAFs, unlike GM's, do not produce a waveform output, but rather a DC voltage output of 0.0V to 5.0V, representing the air flow's mass.

The available EECV PIDs return either kg/h, g/s (derived from the transfer function; PIDs 0110 and 1671), or Volts (PIDs 1177 and 1633) as input from the MAF. The voltage value is useful as it will let you know if the MAF is pegging...
This is true, the MAF will also peg at 1023 counts. Interesting read about the GM style sensors not something I have ever needed to know. I am not sure how the computer (and or SCT's software) reference counts but its sure there. Its a log able PID and on most cars its referenced in the transfer function table. Either way 0-1023 counts or 0-5V pretty much the same thing.

I'll see if I can't snap a few screen shots.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 AM
paintball1
3rd Gear Member

oo dam , becuse ive been putting in 4 quarts of oil and a quart of lucas stablizer.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Stevecooper;6231540]

This is true, the MAF will also peg at 1023 counts. Interesting read about the GM style sensors not something I have ever needed to know. I am not sure how the computer (and or SCT's software) reference counts but its sure there. Its a log able PID and on most cars its referenced in the transfer function table. Either way 0-1023 counts or 0-5V pretty much the same thing.

I'll see if I can't snap a few screen shots.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Ah, that's the raw digital value reported by the PIDs, and is the digital output value of the PCM's 10-bit ADC (2^10 = 1024, Analog to Digital Converter) for the MAF input.

This is why even though the MAF can output more than 5.0V, the PCM will only recognise 4.99...

In DeltaForce the MAF Tranfer Function is entered in Volts vs, flow...

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Ah, that's the raw digital value reported by the PIDs, and is the digital output value of the PCM's 10-bit ADC (2^10 = 1024, Analog to Digital Converter) for the MAF input.

This is why even though the MAF can output more than 5.0V, the PCM will only recognise 4.99...
I should have known that... I deal with the powers of 2 all the time, just most of the time its ends with 8 bits not 10, 2^8 = 256 that I would have noticed.

Does the sniper software only give you a 0-5 volt reference? I always wanted to try there kit out, do you know if they have something for a Lincoln LS?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So the lightning maf sensor will work, correct??? So i can retune the maf to read for stock injectors??? And cobras run 6qts of oil as well...and even though the blower has its own oil, that still doesnt account for the fact that cobras have twice the valvetrain as gt's do. So i think im gonna put a little bit more oil...just not 6qts because thats how much i had in there before and my motor feels like its more lively now with not so much oil in it. so maybe 5.25-5.5qts and call it a day.

Last edited by teej281; 05-26-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
So the lightning maf sensor will work, correct??? So i can retune the maf to read for stock injectors??? And cobras run 6qts of oil as well...and even though the blower has its own oil, that still doesnt account for the fact that cobras have twice the valvetrain as gt's do. So i think im gonna put a little bit more oil...just not 6qts because thats how much i had in there before and my motor feels like its more lively now with not so much oil in it. so maybe 5.25-5.5qts and call it a day.
Try to get away from the whole "injectors are tied to the MAF" concept. You can run a LMAF with any injector you want. The tune will have to be modified to reflect the operation of the new injectors and the LMAF.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^ +1, MAFs are not calibrated to particular injector size. They are calibrated to allow oversize injectors to work with a specific OEM tune. This is done by lying to the ECU about how much air (the lie is less air) is being drawn in--if the lie is big enough all sorts of other problems will pop as ECUs that use MAFs use the intake air mass values to calculate a number of other factors (most critically load) used in setting fueling and timing.

When the lie reaches a certain point the load is calculated too low and the PCU adjusts the AFR and timing for what it thinks is a lower load than the actual load (too lean, and too much advance)--can you say "destructive detonation"?

They are a kludge left over from the days when you could not practicably modify an OEM tune. Now you just program the tune with the transfer function of the new MAF, and set the low and high injector slopes to values matching the installed injectors, and tweak from there...

Quick Reply: In regards to oil