4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New GT Owner with Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riggs
I'm not jealous by any means... Just kids when I was still in high school. Kid wrecked his mustang 3 times... Every time his parents payed to have it fixed. I don't mind kids whose parents help them with cars, just as long as they know the value of a dollar and don't take everything for granted.
Not all young kids are like that. The OP started this thread to express how happy he was to get a mustang gt and people have to come in here with their negativity. We don't know the OP so we actually can't judge him. Maybe he is a really good kid for all we know and knows the meaning of a dollar. He seems like he wants to learn more about the car and instead of congratulating him some people toss him negativity. We should all be happy that his parents bought him a mustang and not a ricer. Give the kid a break!

Last edited by Mustang3GT07; 06-12-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 AM
02GTPonyKid

If you guys must know I have a job and my parents are making me pay my own insurance and gas on the car. Either way it doesn't matter if you think I'm spoiled or not.

If I wasn't supposed to flush the transmission with degreaser what was I supposed to use? I'm pretty sure I could use the garden hose to run water through it if that would be better. Please let me know because it still grinds pretty bad.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

I don't think you're spoiled, i just wish my dad wasn't so damn cheap 4 years ago

I've just have bad experiences with friends getting bailed out by their parents like totalling the first car they had paid for and then getting another one paid for (all while complaining about how they have to pay their phone bill)
Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTPonyKid
If you guys must know I have a job and my parents are making me pay my own insurance and gas on the car. Either way it doesn't matter if you think I'm spoiled or not.

If I wasn't supposed to flush the transmission with degreaser what was I supposed to use? I'm pretty sure I could use the garden hose to run water through it if that would be better. Please let me know because it still grinds pretty bad.
that was a joke right?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:08 PM
03GeeTee
3rd Gear Member

I don't know why everyone is jumping all over this guy because his parents bought his car... My parents bought my car when I was 17 and I take just as good, if not better care of it than if it were mine. Also, I work two jobs and am in college so I know the value of a buck. I am very grateful that my parents were able to buy my car but I still have plenty of respect for the people who bought their own.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:35 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Yeah treat the guy with some respect. I wish I was that lucky way back when. I am 25 now and have bought all my stangs on my own but know others who had one given to them and babied it the same as I did mine. Of course I have known people who did the opposite! My parents split the cost of my first stang when I was 16 wich was a poor little 89 lx hatch with a 4 banger but I took care of that car like it was a brand new one! But anyway, DONT run water into that tranny! I think it's important that you tell us what kind of fluid your "friend" had you put in exactly that first time and how much you drove the car with that fluid in before it started to grind. Are you sure you have the right amount in there? Prob the best bet is buy plenty of fluid and by plenty I mean lots...and change it and drive it really really easy a few miles and then drain it all and repeat that process a few times. Make sure and buy the right stuff the manual tells you to. Hopefully you didn't put in something that ruined your synchros. As far as the clutch feeling hard its a cable clutch so fluid I don't think would effect that in any way. Try putting your foot under the pedal and then pulling up till it stops with the car turned off. Then push it all the way back to the floor to get it to adjust back to factory setting.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
02GTPonyKid

I really don't know exactly what kind of fluid went into it the last time. It was Pro-Line or something. He just had it in his garage. I drove it maybe 100 miles since then and even after putting the Royal Purple in it it still grinds. The clutch thing fixed itself, I heard a clicking sound when I was pulling into the driveway and since then it's been fine. I'll drain it again and put that Mercon stuff in it. I am still confused as to what I'm supposed to flush the fluid with.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:27 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

^^^

unfortunately it sounds like the damage might have already been done....

put the mercon ATF in there and hope that that solves the issue.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:33 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTPonyKid
.......... I am still confused as to what I'm supposed to flush the fluid with.
NOTHING !!....but if you are determined to "flush" it....then just use new fluid to do so
Old 06-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Maybe you should just take it to the dealership and have the look at it. Looks like damage has already been done.

Quick Reply: New GT Owner with Some Questions