4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finding TDC

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Don't worry about taking the engine apart just pull it apart.

For ease of install turn the crank to where the keyway is at 9 oclock. Then install the heads, followers, lash adjusters then bolt the cams in making sure the keyways point towards the crank. That will get you close enough to put the chains on. When installing the chains do not turn the crank only turn the cams to get the marks to line up.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Don't worry about taking the engine apart just pull it apart.

For ease of install turn the crank to where the keyway is at 9 oclock. Then install the heads, followers, lash adjusters then bolt the cams in making sure the keyways point towards the crank. That will get you close enough to put the chains on. When installing the chains do not turn the crank only turn the cams to get the marks to line up.
I am leaving the cams in the head when I pull them off the motor...
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by jvog
I am leaving the cams in the head when I pull them off the motor...
Then you better turn the crank till the keyway is at 9 oclock. If you try to do that at TDC you will bend your valves.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Then you better turn the crank till the keyway is at 9 oclock. If you try to do that at TDC you will bend your valves.
Really, I saw that people do it at TDC when I was looking around thanks for the heads up. So I don't need to mark anything when I take it off?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Nope you can mark the chains later by folding them in half and marking the ends.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You can rotate the motor around so yo can pop all the cam followers off then all the springs will be keeping everything closed. So no matter where the crank is you can take the chains off and spin the cam all you want, it wont move the valves.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Nope you can mark the chains later by folding them in half and marking the ends.
Oh alrighty. Now not to sound like a complete idiot, but can you explain the purpose of marking the chain/folding it in half. I'm just trying to know everything about what I am doing..
Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Oh alrighty. Now not to sound like a complete idiot, but can you explain the purpose of marking the chain/folding it in half. I'm just trying to know everything about what I am doing..
It's so you know which link of the chain goes to which tooth on the cam gears. You'll see little dots machined into the gears to mark which tooth the marked chain goes on. The chain should have two links, one at each end, that's a different color than the rest. If the color has worn off, that's when you fold it and basically make new marked links.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
It's so you know which link of the chain goes to which tooth on the cam gears. You'll see little dots machined into the gears to mark which tooth the marked chain goes on. The chain should have two links, one at each end, that's a different color than the rest. If the color has worn off, that's when you fold it and basically make new marked links.
So, if I am making new marked links, what is the point of marking them. It just it sounds like if I am making new ends couldn't I just throw the chain on there. I know I am missing something lol.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:53 PM
mustangman281
Banned

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...6k-beware.html

Quick Reply: Finding TDC