4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

About U/D pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 PM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Arrow About U/D pulleys

So Im fairly new here and I have a quick question: I'm debating if I should or shouldn't get some U/D pulleys. I've heard arguments from the get side as well as the don't side. As of now I'm stuck as to what I should do?? Thoughts from you guys
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

You're gonna get the same arguments here. I still have yet to see a documented failure to a 4.6 directly because of UDPs. I've run Steedas for 3 years/50K miles with zero issues.

*waits for the "YOU'LL KILL YOUR CAR!!!" guys to chime in....*
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 PM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by POISND U
You're gonna get the same arguments here. I still have yet to see a documented failure to a 4.6 directly because of UDPs. I've run Steedas for 3 years/50K miles with zero issues.

So then does that drain ur battery with ud pulleys? Also would u need a new belt or anythang additional with it?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

I was also recently thinking about gettin' some U/D pulleys but wonder if they are worth it........if i did im leaning toward March Perf. units specificly part# 1175 for my long style water pump....includes an S.F.I. approved Damper as well.

After some researching during my writing I have discovered summits brand.....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...NG&prefilter=1
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueMagic
So then does that drain ur battery with ud pulleys? Also would u need a new belt or anythang additional with it?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I've been running Steeda UDP's for about 2 years now, and haven't had a single issue! I've even run with the air on, in a traffic jam, on a hot summer day (wanted to really test them) and the air blew nice and cold!

As far as performance, i gained a little on the high end. At that point in the modding process my bro in his 06 gt would always slightly pull me on the high end...afterwards we were basically dead even!

They're a decent cheap mod! You have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 AM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

What is most affected by UDP is the water pump. You're switching to a smaller crank pulley which is going to turn your whole accessory drive a bit slower and a larger water pump pulley, which is going to turn your water pump slower. So you go from spinning your water pump at about 1200 revolutions per minute at 1K engine rpm, to about 850 revolutions per minute at 1k engine rpm. Since installing mine last week I've kept at eye on coolant temps and everything seems to be fine.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

if i do install them i might go to a 180 degree T-stat to keep my car cooler for the summer..

my friend has the BBK's and his car runs good...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

No need to worry about overheating or anything like that. The stock water pump is actually overdriven from the factory. Even with a full set of UDPs the stock water pump flows more than enough to keep everything cool.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
mustangman281
Banned

The only UDP that will destroy your engine is the piggyback style. There are 2 guys here in town with shattered oil pump gears because of them. The steeda and march ones are fine.

Quick Reply: About U/D pulleys