4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sound Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 04CompetitionOrange
So what is the remedy? Eventually replace the speakers / amps and do away with the 460 system all together?

Well you are on the right track with that one.

Part of the issue is that the signal being sent from the factory head unit to the rear amplifiers was likely a low level input(5v), and when you installed an aftermarket setup, they had to put a converter in there to allow the pioneer to connect its high level(12v or more) outputs to your factory amps. So SOME signal clarity may be lost. However, nothing to major. The lack of bass you are experiencing is quite common with any switch from a factory head unit. Every time i do a head unit only install the customer is always mildly dissapointed until i adjust the head unit for them and explain that the sound quality is much better and not being covered by the muddy bass that the factory unit provided. This is not the case with the factory amped systems though because they are constrained by the amps no matter what. Sorry if this is confusing...end result...the whole point im trying to make, is that you should upgrade your entire stereo to acheive great sound quality. And, believe it or not, some factory amped systems are actually better than some aftermarket headunits, it just depends what model you buy. I personally have stuck with Panasonic for the amazing power output and onboard 9band equalizer and high and low pass crossovers.

Jeez...this turned into an incoherent book...sorry, hope atleast some of it makes sense lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

My 460 system sounds great with my pioneer unit. I had a setting that made all the difference in the world. It was for changing whether the bass speakers came in on the rear range or the front range, and when I put it on the front range all the speakers had more bass, sounds like its supposed to. I had to boot the head unit in setup mode to get to it. Every unit is different though, so I can't imagine this helped you much unless you have a similar pioneer unit as I do (5900).
Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
Isn't it because the stock speakers are like 4 Ohms opposed to 2, which is closer to an industry standard? or some boohockey like that?

Although I don't know the specifics, this is why. The ONLY remedy is to ditch the stock system altogether.

OP, do a search.....there's at least 8 years worth of posts on the issue.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

the problem is u are relying on speakers for bass, not subwoofers... if want something that sounds good then get new speakers, couple amps and a couple subs.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by liljojo4711
the problem is u are relying on speakers for bass, not subwoofers... if want something that sounds good then get new speakers, couple amps and a couple subs.

If you read what he wrote, he has less bass than what he had before the head unit swap. So realistically lack of subwoofers are not the issue here.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:24 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

u should never rely on a speaker for lows if u care about sound quality. subs are for lows, speakers are for mid range and tweeters are for ur highs. thats it. thats what they are designed for and thats y there are different types...
Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I found this.

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=2245
Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by liljojo4711
u should never rely on a speaker for lows if u care about sound quality. subs are for lows, speakers are for mid range and tweeters are for ur highs. thats it. thats what they are designed for and thats y there are different types...

What was i thinking, i should have called you first and asked how to build the systems i have been building for years...do you even know what a spectrum analyzer is?

Please refrain from attempting to teach me something, referring to "speakers" as being something different than "subs" and "tweeters".

There are different types of "speakers". There are many different types of sub-woofers, mid-woofers, woofers, loudspeakers, horns, tweeters, etc.

All of these have a purpose and a place obviously, BUT, acceptable sound quality for most people can and will be had without a true subwoofer added to the stereo system. Ever wonder why it is called a SUB-woofer?

Sub-bass level frequencies are emitted from it, at a much more defined level than what would be from a mid-bass woofer or the like. Usually these are 100hz or lower.

Most factory installed stereo systems will include mid-bass woofers. This is the bass that is most commonly heard in songs, not what is felt through a stereo with true subwoofers installed. It will still provide ample frequency response for the majority of music, and sound quality itself will still be optimul.

I am not trying to say in any way that the OP should not add a set of Subwoofers to his stereo system, but i am saying that it isnt his sole problem. He could easily replace the factory setup with only "speakers" as you call them, which would actually be considered full range speakers in a combination of a 3 way or 4 way crossover network-which covers all of the range. Hence, the "full range" name of the speakers.

I have personally installed systems with just 2 sets of Infinity Kappas and one bad-*** head unit pumpin 60w rms/channel that would blow the doors off many "systems". The sound quality is top notch and it stays that way all the way to the top of the dial. It all depends on the components you use together and the quality of them. I personally have that setup in my ride as well, along with two Kicker COMPVR 15's and a Kicker KX850.2 Amp with a 940w RMS output. I happen to love DEEP bass, my crossover is set at only 90hz for my subwoofers, and my door speakers handle the rest.

/rant
Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

i was just saying that if u want good quality sound, which u obviously know about judging by ur system u posted , then he should get a new system with range specific speakers and woofers. thats all. i wasnt trying to say u were wrong. just that for a little more money he could have a much much better sounding system.

in my old car i had an elemental designs (before they got bought and turned ****ty) 12A flat cone woofer and a set of focal components for the front. no rear fill. couple amps totaling about 1500 watts and it was really nice. so i know what im talking about as well. i wasnt saying u were wrong at all.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

First off...thanks for all the helps so far.

I adjusted the audio controls and tried the different equalizer settings, but I still can't get the sound quality back to where it was initially. The stock subs are working, so I feel like they got integrated correctly. In the different seetings, it just seems like I can have good bass and muffled voice or good voice and muffled bass...but not both.

I am frustrated because I didn't even want to spend money on "upgrading" the sound system. My damn 6 Disc just wouldn't stop eating my CD's...so I was only rocking out with the radio. So now I have spent money on a head unit / install only for my audio quality to go down. I feel like I have just paid someone to punch me in the face.

What do I need to take out and replace with aftermarket equipment in order to get a CLEAR sounding system? Can the stock wiring at least still be used?!!!

/rant

Quick Reply: Sound Question...